Male Character sculpt, CC please~

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
vavavoom polycounter lvl 8
Better make this a sculpt sketchbook thread now.

Male base sculpt.

*Current progress*

Replies

• vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost greentooth
    Looks like you're having fun. The idea of bashing star wars/space cowboy designs with realistic animals is great.
    It's as if you're taking a character like Admiral Ackbar and setting him in our world.

Reminds me of the fish newscaster from Spongebob lmao

Please be careful with designing from your head. This can reinforce bad habits. You must use reference if you want to breathe life into these characters and make them believable. That can range from clothing, fish, scale patterns, hardsurface armor. I suggest picking up the app, Pureref and begin building your visual library. 

Cheers
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @bkost

Yeah, that makes good sense. Will definitely look to references to further push the characters, especially for detailing.

It is fun 'bashing' away and seeing what sticks as I don't feel so much pressure on myself to produce something that is comparable to a given character concept drawing in terms of matching it.

I'll get back to finishing the other project I'm almost done with before pushing these any more, as I'll never get a full project actually finished...

Hope to make some more characters like these soon...
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's sculpt bash/concept character thing...

• vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    reworked the first 2 characters proportions to make them less 'cartoony' and to better match the last one, which is more the proportions and style I want.
    Tried to screengrab them to give a sense of comparative size to each other side by side (only got MS paint at work, so not great but I hope it gives a better sense)

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel polycounter lvl 7
    Xd the yellow one is great, I hope he has some kind of waterpistol!
    Keep it up :)
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha~ thanks :)

I was thinking more laser guns and spaceships in a sci-fi fantasy world when I was making these, but anything goes~~

So many ideas and characters to make, so little time and knowledge... I'd love to polish and finish these all up, make an environment.... dreams~~~~
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing from yesterdays sculpt...
    Gonna start blocking out the rest of the body next to get a better handle on proportions.

• vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Posted at top of thread, not sure where's best to get CC...

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 8
    Nice sculpt so far. How does the back look? IMHO, he could use some lat muscles. For example, the area behind the underarms, perhaps make it protrude slightly. :)
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @MMKH
    Yeah, that's a good spot. I didn't make as much progress today as i'd hoped. The back doesn't really have have much going on at the moment. I spent today's sculpt practice trying to tie down overall proportions , particularity the waist and hips are hard work...  The body lost a lot of mass as I tried to improve posture and anatomy, i'll bulk him up again after I give the legs and back more sculpting.
    Here's today's effort...

• vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's progress...
    I'm now focusing only on getting this sculpt perfected, as I need to get anatomy down before I go back to trying to finish older projects so I don't keep making same mistakes.
    Should have gone for a straightup realistic anatomy sculpt from the very beginning... but the idea of making more stylized and interesting characters from the getgo was too appealing, not learning to walk before trying to run. Hindsight.

As always, crits, advice wanted and greatly appreciated...

• vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's sculpt was only the hand. Hands are the part I find most difficult.

Fingers quite chunky, but they'll be made thinner on next pass. Thinking to retopo at this stage to start clean it up and work on details if anatomy is ok...

Took half a day to just get it to this stage...

...I see a lot of really nice character models let down by poor looking hands. I wonder if hands are generally considered the most difficult part among artists out there?   I guess it's each to their own, but i'd be curious to find out...
  • vavavoom
  • Temppe
    Offline / Send Message
    Temppe polycounter lvl 8
    I think his legs are too long dude. Have you measured how many heads long the greater trochanter is from the floor? Ryan Kingslien says it's four, though you could push it a bit more if you want heroic proportions maybe.
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Temppe
    Yeah, I should probably put a ref image plane into Zbrush from now to get better proportions.
    Here's today's effort...

Looks nicer in perspective view than ortho... I can't put my finger on it, but it feels off somehow in ortho view....

Maybe the pose is too unnatural?
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    So I adjusted the arms, and made the torso shorter.

I think this looks better...

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga interpolator
    Just my opinion. The details look ok. The skull looks good but the face feature proportions are too small. The chest looks deflated and too small for the character length. Its hard to sculpt a figure that is standing straight. You can relax it a bit by pushing the pelvis  forward and letting the figure compensate for the slight weight shift, plus bending the arms forward slightly.

If you are in zBrush a neat trick is to place a program like poser or daz under neath and make the zB interface transparent (you can do that with a slider top right of the UI). That way its easier to check your volumes.
  • Al13nHand
    Oh damn that's a neat trick I never thought of that
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga interpolator
    Yeah its good for getting the general layout. It works well if you take your figure down to the lowest sub D level, that is if it isn't a dynamesh base. BTW I meant bend the arms a bit at the elbow.

Cheers
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @kanga

adjusted pose and proportions, then went into some detailing. Gotta fix the lower back, got a bit messy when I was making proportion adjustments.

Will focus on the hands and feet on the next pass.

Gonna work on the face as soon as body is completely finished, I'll attach it and work on the features more to make it better then.

Hope this is a step up in progress... 

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga interpolator
    lookin better!
  • vavavoom
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @kanga

Today's sculpt practice I spent ages tidying up , adding more detail but ended up unsatisfied with the result.... I couldn't get it looking right, it started looking worse.

So, instead of spending more hours going round in circles, I grabbed a decent looking ref from Google (sorry can't find the artist name, I used Google image search) and went about sculpting my existing model into the ref.

Here's the result:

The ref:

I would have loved to have got mine looking nice without directly copying someone else's sculpt as reference, but I realized that wasn't gonna happen and I would waste more time going in circles. Aside from the arms position, the feet, hands and head, the body is a direct attempt at the ref.  It's not finished yet, but I feel I made some progress today.