Home Technical Talk

Constant creases when adding edge loops with smooth preview

madstylesnz
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
madstylesnz polycounter lvl 9
Hi, does anyone else have great difficulty when adding edge loops to tighten up geometry then when they smooth preview find they're constantly getting creases? I'm modeling a minigun and I've got a few extrusions for detail along a couple of cylinders but when I try to add edge loops I'm getting these annoying creases all the time and it's very difficult and time consuming to try to get rid of them while keeping the cylinder with a true round shape:

I'm going round and round in circles trying to get rid of them, making sure they're quads and evenly spacing the edges out but they're still there. Surely there must be a way to get rid of these otherwise I'm just going to have to live with them.

Replies

• icegodofhungary
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    Even if you could get rid of it in the viewport, it would likely show up in a bake. It's just not great topology. Running a narrow quad over a smooth surface is going to result in problems. The way I would tackle is to not try to model it as one piece. That bolted on plate doesn't need to be the same piece as the barrel or main body of what you're making. Don't try to make everything one piece, because you'll constantly run into stuff like this. If you're modeling something that does require it to be one piece, like some kind of machined part for an engine or something, then you need more geometry in the area. You would have to had increased the amount of sides your cylinder had before you began. But even then it'll be tricky and you'll have to be very careful. Read the "How the F*#% Do I Model This?" thread to get some ideas on how to do more complex parts.
  • madstylesnz
    Offline / Send Message
    madstylesnz polycounter lvl 9
    Even if you could get rid of it in the viewport, it would likely show up in a bake. It's just not great topology. Running a narrow quad over a smooth surface is going to result in problems. The way I would tackle is to not try to model it as one piece. That bolted on plate doesn't need to be the same piece as the barrel or main body of what you're making. Don't try to make everything one piece, because you'll constantly run into stuff like this. If you're modeling something that does require it to be one piece, like some kind of machined part for an engine or something, then you need more geometry in the area. You would have to had increased the amount of sides your cylinder had before you began. But even then it'll be tricky and you'll have to be very careful. Read the "How the F*#% Do I Model This?" thread to get some ideas on how to do more complex parts.
    Yeah I think you're right I'm going insane trying to keep it as one piece but it just makes the extrusions look more realistic. At the moment I'm separating some of the detail and leaving the other extrusions where I've been able to minimize the creases. Sometimes in life you just have to make compromises I guess otherwise I'll never finish this thing.