Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Mobile Super Destroyer

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BlueBlankey polycounter lvl 6
(putting this in its own thread seeing as though it's taken on a life of its own)

In early 2018 I had an idea for an animation and tried modeling it ad-hoc in Sketchup. It slowly became a perfectionist playground rather than what it was meant for, but it's progressed far enough for the end to be within sight.
I'm hoping I'll find the confidence to work on it for more than half-an-hour at a time- it's been going on for far too long.

Replies

• rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    omg this is .. big 
    Really cool.. is there some kind of concept behind it?
  • BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin said:
    omg this is .. big 
    Really cool.. is there some kind of concept behind it?
    No actual visual concepts, but it does have a concept for what it is and what it's supposed to do.

In a nutshell it's a siege defense weapon for destroying very large, slow moving automations.
    - In this universe the planet is full of a gaseous element that can store both power and information, and the inhabitants use it to construct their machines without having to design them. They brought so much to the surface that giant automations started creating themselves, and attacked the native's constructs to stay alive.
    - Normally the natives fabricate giant cannons to destroy the machines, but the terrain led to them decide a mobile version would be more beneficial. (the terrain being a flat tidal flood plain with many plateaus and obstacles, with too many angles for a single hard point.)

- The "mobile super destroyer" is created in the same fashion as the automations- guided tropism and programmed auto-genesis using the planet's essence- which gives it a very complex, animalistic appearance. The destroyer was "designed" to be able to move quickly between positions by skating over the soft flat ground of the tidal plain, and to remain combat effective when it flooded. (hence its tall silhouette.)
    - It was made very large to support its role as 'super' destroyer by combating automations of massive size and/or heavy sieges of larger machines. (it's missing its 7000mm rocket launcher, and also its actual call-sign, can't think of a good one.)
  • BlueBlankey
    Offline / Send Message
    Big necropost on this, it's being called "burdened beast" now- it fell into limbo with the other mechs, not actually giving up on it but too busy fiddling with other projects to commit. I poke at it every week in a modeling stream, but a true functional prototype of the game and its mechanics should come first.