Home General Discussion

Substance going subscription only

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
Fresh news, Adobe decided to go subscription only with the Substance suite after they officially published Alchemist.

Official forum post: https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,30855.0.html?fbclid=IwAR0_--Lza3L_jMUbGcDWkKO2wM15S5JrUZGdGrKkTSlqRZO_5xAPm92x0o

Another article: https://cgpress.org/archives/changes-to-substance-licensing.html

Basically you can renew your perpetual maintenance plan until october 31, 2020 after that sub only ( if i understood correctly ).
The subscription price has been reduced to 219 $ from 239 $ but if you have a perpetual license and you switch to the annual sub you pay 149 $ at least for now without giving up the perpetual license.
You can still buy a perpetual license from Steam...for now.

I also noticed that Allegorithmic site disappeared replaced by a new site called Substance3D by Adobe and their logo is nowhere to be found. RIP
Nothing to say more, i saw it coming from the moment Allegorithmic sold themselves to Adobe.

I still have my perpetual of Painter and Designer with over 1k materials and smart materials...we will see.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    We all knew this day was coming, it was pretty obvious. Still; whyyyyyyy

Indie subscription price: $219 per year. Painter and Designer were both $150 each for a perpetual license, totaling $300 (if memory serves me right?). The subscription price per year is 68% of the price of the perpetual license for both. If the price to rent something is almost the price to outright own something, doesn't that defeat the main purpose of renting?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Thx for posting!
    And obviously this was going to happen. In fact I would be surprised if it's not simply part of the CC at some point
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin said:
    Thx for posting!
    And obviously this was going to happen. In fact I would be surprised if it's not simply part of the CC at some point
    No problem, i read the news this morning on Twitter from CGPress and i thought it may be interesting to post it here.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    scooped up a perpetual license a while ago since this was obviously going to happen. Still ....

• Udjani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udjani interpolator
    That's a Peter Jackson moment right there. Jokes aside, as long as they don't fuck with my ''perpetual license'' it's all good, most of the painter updates will probably be a bunch of materials like the last one anyways. 
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Udjani said:
    That's a Peter Jackson moment right there. Jokes aside, as long as they don't fuck with my ''perpetual license'' it's all good, most of the painter updates will probably be a bunch of materials like the last one anyways. 
    Probably the main reason for subscriptions. At one point the software is good-enough for most user and that would mean the end of cash flow. So you can develop new software and / or change to a subscription model. They are doing both

ps: thx @defragger for this gif :D
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    This is it, folks. Where were you the day the world plunged into total darkness?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    No surprises there. Glad I'm not relying on these tools, one bullet dodged.

Press release for subscription price increase two years from now or so is probably all typed up and sitting in the 'draft' folder. :)

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Adobe is the funniest fucking company we've ever watched operate. Imagine releasing a new version of your software and un-ironically posting this as the 3rd most important update for the software. Remember when they took this function out like 10 years ago and we all had to change our shortcuts so that we could perpetual undo's like normal ass humans.

The fuckin audacity to post this shit is fuckign amazing.

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 said:
    Adobe is the funniest fucking company we've ever watched operate. Imagine releasing a new version of your software and un-ironically posting this as the 3rd most important update for the software. Remember when they took this function out like 10 years ago and we all had to change our shortcuts so that we could perpetual undo's like normal ass humans.

The fuckin audacity to post this shit is fuckign amazing.

Lol, great update. I never liked the Adobe products as well as their business policy.
    I use Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop ( 50 € more or less, perpetual, 2 types of brush stabilizer, similar interface and it has 90 % of the features of Photoshop ) and DaVinci Resolve instead of Premiere Pro ( free, professional software with an interface that is also easy to use and that makes sense ).

The more time passes the more i realize that if you want to truly be free from all these bullshit you must use open source softwares or softwares from companies that have a mindset where "innovation" and "indie friendly" are their main goals like SideFX.
    Although if you use softwares from a company that is not open source like Blender, you can't really be sure that it will continue to exist or that they will keep the same prices over the years.

Of course there are also people like Vitaly that still uses XSI without caring about updates nor support and he's doing fine.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    I think the Steam version is still to buy....but no Alchemist :/
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    soo, the effect on everyone who's either already subscribed or upgrades yearly for maintenance (which is basically essential) is precisely nothing
    and the effect on people who don't subscribe or regularly upgrade is precisely nothing
    and
    it got a bit cheaper

how awful
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I started with SP 2017, and it's been the most essential texturing tool for me... but I guess it's actually time to look for alternative solutions, since there's going to be nothing but downhill with "Allegorithmic", or should I say it's remains.

My classic 2D texturing skills only with Photoshop or Gimp are very basic and rusty, and I never got around learning them properly, especially since traditional 2D texturing requires more careful PBR look development, authoring and seam-hiding... that's where I'm really weak, because I've relied to SP's viewport and materials. I wouldn't want to lose the quality on my game assets with poor texturing if SP isn't an option anymore.

Well, there is ArmorPaint which might be my next stop to continue from there, when switching from SP to that. Still, it doesn't look as feature-rich or versatile enough at this very moment of its state though. So, it's not worth switcing... yet. Blender's development has accelerated a lot, but its current built-in texturing tools are even more lackluster than what ArmotPaint offers.

Another one is Quixel's products. Mixer isn't really a texturing tool, more like "tileable material creator", equal to Substance Alchemist or Designer, but without nodes. There is Quixel Suite, but it isn't even promoted on their website, only Megascans, Bridge and Mixer. Quixel Suite can be googled and accessed back to their website where they're selling it... but it's the same one dragging the Photoshop requirement around, which isn't good.

So, I wonder what to do with texturing once SP dries out into the void of Adobe's fist...

• Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started with SP 2017, and it's been the most essential texturing tool for me... but I guess it's actually time to look for alternative solutions, since there's going to be nothing but downhill with "Allegorithmic", or should I say it's remains.

My classic 2D texturing skills only with Photoshop or Gimp are very basic and rusty, and I never got around learning them properly, especially since traditional 2D texturing requires more careful PBR look development, authoring and seam-hiding... that's where I'm really weak, because I've relied to SP's viewport and materials. I wouldn't want to lose the quality on my game assets with poor texturing if SP isn't an option anymore.

Well, there is ArmorPaint which might be my next stop to continue from there, when switching from SP to that. Still, it doesn't look as feature-rich or versatile enough at this very moment of its state though. So, it's not worth switcing... yet. Blender's development has accelerated a lot, but its current built-in texturing tools are even more lackluster than what ArmotPaint offers.

Another one is Quixel's products. Mixer isn't really a texturing tool, more like "tileable material creator", equal to Substance Alchemist or Designer, but without nodes. There is Quixel Suite, but it isn't even promoted on their website, only Megascans, Bridge and Mixer. Quixel Suite can be googled and accessed back to their website where they're selling it... but it's the same one dragging the Photoshop requirement around, which isn't good.

So, I wonder what to do with texturing once SP dries out into the void of Adobe's fist...

3d Coat is another option. 
    Quixel in my opinion is very good and mixing scan together is a powerful feature but it is sub only and tailored for realistic style.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I'm with poopipe  on this one. Doesn't look like more than negligible effect on my wallet and it's still the best tool for me.

If we try to measure lost cost of opportunity (assuming Adobe does intentionally devour competition to stifle progress) well that is all speculation of course. But I'd still wager it's a good thing. The more "progress" is made, the sooner many employed people here lose value. If you happy with what you got better to make it last. "Chew slowly, it's the good stuff."
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with poopipe  on this one. Doesn't look like more than negligible effect on my wallet and it's still the best tool for me.

If we try to measure lost cost of opportunity (assuming Adobe does intentionally devour competition to stifle progress) well that is all speculation of course. But I'd still wager it's a good thing. The more "progress" is made, the sooner many employed people here lose value. If you happy with what you got better to make it last. "Chew slowly, it's the good stuff."
    Of course, anyone has their opinion. If you use all the Substance softwares and you were paying the maintenace every year for each one of them than yes, the difference is minimal.

However, in my case i use only Painter. I also have Designer but i use it 1 time per year maybe. So i was paying 75 $ for the maintenance, now i have to pay 150 $ if i accept their offer of switching to sub that means x2 what i was paying before only to use the software alone and there is no guarantee that the price will stay the same.
    Ex. Some months ago Autodesk increased the prices for the subscription of Maya LT and i think for Maya full version as well. And you can't do anything about it. It's not a question of "i have the perpetual, i'm not interested in the new updates so i don't pay and still use the software". You must pay in any case if you want to use it.

Subscriptions are not created to benefit the clients. This is true not only for IT but for all the other things in general.

In any case i think that for the owners of a perpetual license of Painter or Designer, even if you don't update them for 4-5 years you will still be ok...maybe.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well for those of you working professionally this is cost of inflation which you can factor into your budget when negotiating your next raise. And don't let anybody tell you that because they supply professional license that doesn't mean you don't need personal. 

Whatever way the wind blows as long as you take time to be silent and read it you can find your opportunity. There is still plenty of room in the game for small fish, you just got to understand how to work your angle in the food chain.

For me, working independently on my own game projects, I think smart thing to do is look at these free alternates you guys mentioned.. because I don't need the best tools, the basics will do for me. But if I were working professional or as freelance? I think it may be best to stick with best and most commonplace tools and pass increased cost onto employer or cloent.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I never buy anything with a subscription. Perpetual or nothing. I have ZBrush, SP 2018 and Marvelous Designer with perpetual licenses. Sometimes I may not use a certain piece of software for a quite long time (few months even) because I'm working on one part of the pipeline, like let's say I'm sculpting for months before moving on to another part of the pipeline.

Otherwise I'd be paying monthly for something I may not use at all. I could only understand paying subscription if it adds up to the final perpetual price and license and stops there.

Another thing is that I'm happy that Blender 2.81 is getting massively improved sculpting tools, because you'll never know what happens to ZBrush in future either. Even though I'm heavily supporting open source softwares, I use those commercial ones only because they've proven to be super great, useful, powerful, fast and stable for me, and I need them... not because they're industry standard or anything like that.

Speaking of Marvelous Designer 9, which is the newest version. Looking at the new features, the new GPU simulation is tempting, but I'm still happy owner of the previous MD 8, which still holds up more than enough. Without going too off topic here, same goes with Substance Painter 2018, still amazing, and I keep using it as long as it's possible.

Summa sumarum, since Substance's products have gone completely subsciption, I'm no longer supporting them or bying their products from now on. I'm sure Substance's products will always be great, but no subscription models for me, thanks.

@Andreicus Yeah, but Quixel Suite requires Photoshop, which I don't own. But 3D Coat on the other hand, seems alright. Price is good too, $99 "Amateur" license... *cough* more like indie. Amateur is a tad too degrading word for an artist, lol. Anyway, still a bit too big software with other features which aren't necessary, like sculpting or retopology. I have ZBrush for sculpting and Blender for retopo already.

But if I can use SP 2018's perpetually licensed version "forever" for now, that's fine too. As long as they're not taking it away from my Steam account, that is.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FourtyNights this is how you are operating as a freelance artist? Is the intent to keep cost low or to not feed beast you disagree with? Do you lose any time having to stay current on some software's just because they are standard but you don't use them.unless you have to?

I'd love to ditch zbrush,  you have anything to say about that? 
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    More death to innovation. GG. Using the alternatives is fine provided a client doesn't need you to edit maya or max files for example. Same thing with Substance. This happened very quickly. I guess after a few releases they won't want to honor perpetual licenses anymore like it's happening with other adobe products
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Allegorithmic: Just trust us, we know what you want and are on your side. We can change Adobe from within because we have some influence now.

Users: No, it does not work that way. You will answer to a board of directors who only care about profit, about turning your product into a service so they can milk the consumers more and for longer with less money thrown into R&D. You sold out and everything we said is going to happen will happen.

Allegorithmic: We did not sell out, we just took their money and became part of the corporation. How is that selling out? Just trust us ok? We got your back.

Users: Uh huh, sure...

10 months later

Allegorithmmic: Great news, we listened to you and are ready to give you exactly what you want.... SUBSCRIPTION ONLY SERVICE!!!

Jeb B. enters the scene saying:  "Please Clap".

Users: Yeah we never wanted that. Oh hey whats that over there? Quixel? $99 perpetual license for Mixer? Looks like someone is paying attention to the users.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never buy anything with a subscription. Perpetual or nothing. I have ZBrush, SP 2018 and Marvelous Designer with perpetual licenses. Sometimes I may not use a certain piece of software for a quite long time (few months even) because I'm working on one part of the pipeline, like let's say I'm sculpting for months before moving on to another part of the pipeline.

Otherwise I'd be paying monthly for something I may not use at all. I could only understand paying subscription if it adds up to the final perpetual price and license and stops there.

Another thing is that I'm happy that Blender 2.81 is getting massively improved sculpting tools, because you'll never know what happens to ZBrush in future either. Even though I'm heavily supporting open source softwares, I use those commercial ones only because they've proven to be super great, useful, powerful, fast and stable for me, and I need them... not because they're industry standard or anything like that.

Speaking of Marvelous Designer 9, which is the newest version. Looking at the new features, the new GPU simulation is tempting, but I'm still happy owner of the previous MD 8, which still holds up more than enough. Without going too off topic here, same goes with Substance Painter 2018, still amazing, and I keep using it as long as it's possible.

Summa sumarum, since Substance's products have gone completely subsciption, I'm no longer supporting them or bying their products from now on. I'm sure Substance's products will always be great, but no subscription models for me, thanks.

@Andreicus Yeah, but Quixel Suite requires Photoshop, which I don't own. But 3D Coat on the other hand, seems alright. Price is good too, $99 "Amateur" license... *cough* more like indie. Amateur is a tad too degrading word for an artist, lol. Anyway, still a bit too big software with other features which aren't necessary, like sculpting or retopology. I have ZBrush for sculpting and Blender for retopo already.

But if I can use SP 2018's perpetually licensed version "forever" for now, that's fine too. As long as they're not taking it away from my Steam account, that is.
    Quixel suite meaning ddo and ndo needs photoshop yes, but mixer, bridge and megascans are completely stand alone. 
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @FourtyNights this is how you are operating as a freelance artist? Is the intent to keep cost low or to not feed beast you disagree with? Do you lose any time having to stay current on some software's just because they are standard but you don't use them.unless you have to?

I'd love to ditch zbrush,  you have anything to say about that? 
    I'm not freelancing, I have a full-time job as a 3D generalist. And no, we don't have any licenses for any software at work. The core tools are Blender + UE4, nothing else.

But I should've clarified that this affects ONLY my personal work that I can't be up to date with Substance Painter anymore, since they don't offer perpetual lincences anymore. Like how I updated from SP 2017 to SP 2018 with 50€, and that was a great deal back then. Instead of paying the full price of the software, but getting a considerable discount as an existing user.

EDIT: Same avoiding goes with any subscription type for me such as Netflix, newspapers, magazines, PlayStation Plus, for example. I already hate paying a student loan every month with a fixed amount of money. Paying bills monthly for vital things is okay and mandatory, 'cos everyone does that, haha.

About ZBrush. Well, Blender 2.81's sculpting tools are evolving rapidly and getting more and more to a Zbrush-level every day, so I might be ready to switch if something unexpected happens.

@Andreicus Except Mixer, Bridge and Megascans are pretty useless for a 3D character artist like me. Only useful thing with Mixer may be creating tileable fabric patterns for the clothing of a character for example, but you're not texturing with them per se. Like with masks, material IDs, baked maps and so on. Like in SP.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor  This isn't cost of inflation. This has nothing to do with inflation. If a car company sold cars for $10k, then one day said they were no longer selling the cars, but renting them, and for $7k per year, this isn't inflation. This is a tactic to increase revenue.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Andreicus 

I am also still on xsi. I'm trying to think of a way to convince a lowly programmer at autodesk to go grab the source for it and release it on the net. 
    :)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's same practical outcome of inflation. Goods and services cost more, so you have to.charfe more. In this case it's arbitrary because greed (seems son from here anyway), but then money  is all an arbitrary notion anyway so who cares. If you cling onto the whale for food you gotta sniff his farts.
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 said:
    Andreicus 

I am also still on xsi. I'm trying to think of a way to convince a lowly programmer at autodesk to go grab the source for it and release it on the net. 
    :)
    You have all my respect :D but now i'm curios, do you have any problem with using an old software like XSI ? With problems i mean bugs, plugins support and this kind of stuff.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor
    Now 'do whales fart?' is in my Google search history.

Saying goods and services cost more as time goes on makes sense and all, but this isn't a simple matter of, "it's been a while since we've increased our price a bit, so we're doing so now." The amount someone now needs to spend in order to have access to these programs has sky rocketed. It costed me $300 to get both SP and SD. If I were to instead rent this for 5 years, it would now cost me $1,095.

We can't just say 'money is an arbitrary notion, so who cares?' Our society runs on money, it sets the difference between quality of life. The difference in price for this program, for having access for 5 years, has more than tripled. That's not even taking into consideration if someone is still using these programs for longer than 5 years. If it was the same practical outcome as inflation, the price would have gone from $300 to $312 for ownership, maybe a bit more to make up for inflation for previous years. Watch any other company announce they're tripling their prices and see what happens; as the consumer, we're allowed to heavily criticize this. I'm just one of the lucky ones with a perpetual license.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't look that close at the math. I did quick calculation to see if I have to pay more. Didn't look like it. That's what I base my argument from. I also have perpetual for sp2.

I think, for the freelancer, it is still a matter of simply balance the budget. Tools cost more, how to balance that? 

I don't disagree that fuck greed and the whole system and all, and as you know I love to do my bitching like anybody else, but in this situation it just looks to me like small potatoes and fairly predictable. Not like rug has been pulled out from beneath.

So, btw, do whales fart? 
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    Time for people to flock-support ArmorPaint. Seriously. Let's support this product's development, and send a real "Fuck you!" to Adobe.

https://armorpaint.org/

It's based on Blender 2.8 technology, so it's my hope that, with enough support, we'll see some of more formats supported, as well as retooling of Blender's Dynamic Paint into a particle brush system similar to the PopcornFX-powered particle brushes in Substance Painter.

Remember--people once laughed at Blender.  For years.  Now, it's looking pretty sexy these days.  ArmorPaint has the same bright potential.
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Sorry for the OT but yeah, Armorpaint seems to be chugging along nicely with release of v07 recently, had lost track it a year ago when researching likely potential Painter alternatives after it's acquisition.

...and a Blue Whale fart bubble can fit a full grown horse in it...just say'n

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    ArmorPaint is very promising indeed. With 16€, you'll get that much power it already offers. So yes, let's support it all, mates. ;)
  • Andreicus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those interested in converting substance materials to another software like armor paint or 3d coat, you can download the free substance player, load the materials, export them as textures and load them up inside the other software.

Armor and coat will automatically recognize the pbr textures and create a pbr material out of them. 
  • Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
    Andreicus said:

Quixel suite meaning ddo and ndo needs photoshop yes, but mixer, bridge and megascans are completely stand alone. 
    they are planing to add NDO and DDO in mixer actually now they support brush you can paint only left to support fbx... they say this month have good news not sure what is it ,but hopefully something about supporting painting on obj or fbx . 
    "we wanted to create a new home for NDO and DDO in a new stand-alone software, eventually to be named “Mixer”.:
    https://quixel.com/blog/2019/1/30/the-year-of-mixer

so yeah, Iam just waiting for it.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Yea Im just going to purchase the most recent substance painter from steam and be done with it. With I need to snag an update or a year of maintenance I will in the future but this just generally doesn't affect me all that much
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Macrow said:
    Time for people to flock-support ArmorPaint. Seriously. Let's support this product's development, and send a real "Fuck you!" to Adobe.

https://armorpaint.org/

It's based on Blender 2.8 technology, so it's my hope that, with enough support, we'll see some of more formats supported, as well as retooling of Blender's Dynamic Paint into a particle brush system similar to the PopcornFX-powered particle brushes in Substance Painter.

Remember--people once laughed at Blender.  For years.  Now, it's looking pretty sexy these days.  ArmorPaint has the same bright potential.
    There is also Material Maker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgTnsE8ueKI  being able to just script your damn nodes is a god send. 
  • Blaizer
  • Macrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
    I just don't get why so many companies think that, in order to offer a subscription model, they have to rid of perpetual licenses.

Just offer BOTH, like Allegorithmic was already doing.  Also, why get rid of the "rent-to-own" model?  That was the perfect middle ground between subscription and perpetual licensing.

If you need more money, then just offer that model for Version X.XX series and tell folks they'll have to buy the next major release Version Y whenever it comes out.

I get it.  Even Pixologic had to stop offering the "free updates forever" model for ZBrush, because, hey, you gotta pay bills.  But it seems like if you offer multiple ways to access the product, you're maximizing your profits.

Of all people, Adobe, the last company I'd want offering a subscription model, ruined a great business model.  I was hoping more companies emulated what Allegorithmic was doing with offering three styles of payment models.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Andreicus said:

You have all my respect :D but now i'm curios, do you have any problem with using an old software like XSI ? With problems i mean bugs, plugins support and this kind of stuff.
    No show stopping bugs right now. There will be problems to the point of total failure, but for now it's safe. 

As for plugins, there is still a reasonably active community that makes plugins, renderers, etc. over on one of the old xsi forums. Kinda amazed at the staying power of the software. 
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Just chiming in to say that perpetual licenses are still available through Steam, and you can still link your Steam account to a Substance account (as soon as we fix the new website).

Current licensees with a perpetual maintenance or a legacy license can still update their maintenance for one more year until October 2020, which means you can still get a perpetual license with updates until October 2021.

That's the offering right now and it may evolve and change again in the future like is has many times in the past 10 years.
    That does not mean less updates, lower quality releases or features, to the contrary. We have tons of new features coming up in all the tools, a new version of Substance Share, tons of R&D projects and entirely new products in the works.
    The idea that subscription always equals slow development and lack of innovation is simply not true, and definitely doesn't apply to Adobe nor Substance.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Jerc said:

The idea that subscription always equals slow development and lack of innovation is simply not true, and definitely doesn't apply to Adobe nor Substance.
    Hi Jeremie. Who has this idea? I guess most folks have the idea that subscriptions equals to profit maximization. It offers companies more reliable income per time and per quantity. 
    But hiding this fact behind marketing bla bla has never worked.
    I like substance and I will continue using it (that was and is my intention by buying a perpetual license) but I'm not going to hurrray the subscription only move for whatever reason. 
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I think it is a very popular opinion that once a software reaches a certain stage of maturity,  a) most their users already own a copy and b) updates are getting smaller. That is usually when a company will switch to a subscription model to keep the money coming in.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Jerc said:
    I don't believe anyone thinks that is always the case, however it would be a bit of a joke to claim Adobe is not known for "slow development" and a lack of "innovation" when it comes to many of their subscription based services (not products anymore). The consumers do not win out when their products magically turn into services. Some businesses might, Adobe certainly does, the consumer? Not so much.

Heck that is one of the reasons why some of the competing products are doing so well right now. Affinity designer, Publisher..ect Adobe simply has a horrible track record, which is why you guys were given so much such sh*t when you announced being acquired by Adobe.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol i don't think you guys telling him anything he don't know. He has a job to do, he's doing it. Jerc ain't the CEO of adobe.

Again, just for sake of argument, I almost wonder if Adobe's slow innovation is not a good thing in some sense. I've talked to a few long time game devs who eventually quit cause it gets too tiring after a decade or two. Many reasons, but blistering pace of software innovation is big part. And what's benefit? Are games better now? Not in my opinion.

Imagine if for the past decade no software improvements had been made. So no dev energy allocated on prettier graphics. Where does that energy go then? Refining design over and over. Games might be legit art by now! Like serious writing, real themes that could be studied in universities and make impacts on people's lives, or just ultra refined gameplay and tons of super unique spins. 

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ^... huh? If there is no tool or hardware advancement then people will simply go nuts on optimization and trickery. Just look at 8/16-bit era type games and how they evolved despite being stuck with long outdated platforms and went on to squeeze every last bit out of some then 10+ years old piece of hardware.

People who quit tend to either lose interest in working on games or software as such, get tired of working conditions or find out that some other field pays better for essentially the same kind of skillset.

Other than that you always have people who were once hired because they knew the tool of the day but for whatever reason did not advance their skillset as tech progressed. So either they get phased out or quit themselves when they end up far enough behind that they become a liability for the company.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So no dev energy allocated on prettier graphics. Where does that energy go then? Refining design over and over. Games might be legit art by now!

Man, you're posting this on a forum filled with people who have made it their life goal to make the prettiest graphics possible.

On a side note, check out the ad I'm getting on this page :P