Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Warehouse

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
KatzChimera polycounter lvl 2
Hey all, this is my first post here and my first environment scene in Unreal. It would be great to get some feedback on this piece as I really want to grow and push to get better.

I look forward to being more involved in the community here and any advice, suggestions you may have for doing so. Also any articles or information you think may help are greatly appreciated. 

~ =^.^=

Texture Credit:

Allegorithmic- Substance Share and Substance Source

Classic_brown_concrete-Concrete wall material

Wood_board-Pallet material

Construction_Rubble_On_Rocky_Ground material

Forest_Cover_Dry-Ground material

Metal_Brushed_Rusted-Ceiling Panels material

Chipped_Cracked-Concrete wall material

Gabriel Urtado Martin- Substance Share-Tire material

Hazehk- Substance Share-Sloppy_Brick_Wall-material

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The biggest issue I'm seeing right now is your beams all seem to be made of the same mesh, when in reality the concrete would be poured separately and then placed together. It would be interesting if there was an elevated section, to provide some height variance in the environment. I love the grunge and dirt you've added!
  • KatzChimera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the feedback. Yes the beams are modular, if I understand correctly, you referring to the concrete arches essentially? Perhaps I could have made them just single pillars and placed them together instead. The elevation is a great idea! Thank you again! 
  • buce1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buce1 polycounter lvl 5
    Something that stands out to me is the texture work. What do you use for your textures? (ie. substance, photoshop, etc.)
  • KatzChimera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I created a few of the textures myself, the Windows,Rust and Moss are mine, the others are from Substance Share and Substance source and Quixel Suite and I used vertex blending to combine a few to break it up. I created my procedural textures in Substance Designer and Alchemist. 
  • buce1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    buce1 polycounter lvl 5
    I would say spend a little bit of time adding variety and grunge to some of the models like the barrels. I presume you're using substance painter for models like the barrels and pallets. Try using some generators to add some edge wear to the barrels. Add some grunge to break up the flat roughness, right now it just looks boring to look at. For the pallets, I find that wood tends to look more realistic if it gets lighter around the edges. Add a little bit of edge wear with a custom generator. If you spend some time working on your texture work it will make everything come together a lot better. And if I'm wrong and you aren't using substance painter, I would recommend learning substance as it's currently an industry standard.

I would also look into watching some tutorials on baking. Simon Fuch's has a really good course online that helped me alot with my baking/texture workflow. Might want to look into it: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVy0bV
  • KatzChimera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am very familiar with Substance! That is wonderful advice, thank you so much for the suggestions and link!