Home Unreal Engine

[UE4] Normal map and light bounces calculations ?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I have been wondering does normal maps affect light bounce calaculations. In ue4, does light bounce with refrence to normal maps or u need a displacement to make that happen. If u have like a very rough bumpy floor using normal map, will ue4 calculate the bounces that hit and scatter from those bumpy uneven surface or it will see it as flat when light baking? Does this also work with parallex mapping?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    For lightmass, this needs to be enabled in the project setting. For rtx, it should work by default. 

It partially works with parallax. By partial, I mean the normals are taken into account during bake, if its enabled in the project settings, but the lightmap don't get parallaxed.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info,
    In project setting, u mean the Use Normal Maps for Static Lighting?
    My issue with leaving this on is the black spots that occur after baking.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Yes, that one. Can you post an image of the issue?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. I was refering to some projects I have done in the past corcerning the black spots or very dark shadows from the normal maps. Because of that, I had to turn it off. I am currently doing some research about Koola's  ue4 work and why it looks way better than most ue4 projects seen around. His ue4 renders are very close to offline renderers. So I am researching ue4 lighting more in depth.