Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First portfolio character, advice welcome!

deedoubleyou
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
deedoubleyou polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, new to polycount so not sure if im posting this in the right place or not. Im working on a portfolio just now  and have just finished my first project. If you guys could let me know what you think and share some advice that would be appreciated! advice that would be appreciated! 

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    So it's pretty solid but some of your materials are pretty bland.  The jacket has almost no breakup or interest on the back at all.  I would also say that it also leaves a lot of question marks about your anatomy and proportion abilities.  I also can't tell if you can do faces at all.  So while it's not a bad piece, it sort of feels like you just made an armor set and not really a character if that makes sense: no eyes, no hair, no skin.  For your first character, it is a great result though.  I'll be interested to see what you do next!
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I would say that proportions and stance could be something to work on. For example, the arms feel a bit too long, and legs a bit too short. Unless he's actually a gorilla, then it sort of works. Also, the shoulders look dislocated somehow? I'm not exactly sure why but the shoulder area look off. And one more thing, it looks like he is thrusting his hips forward quite a bit. If I remember right, the "T" pose should have a more upright posture to help the riggers out when they get the character. I might be wrong though, it has been a while since I learned character art at school. (I'm an environment artist)
    Anyway, this is pretty good for a 'first portfolio character' I like the overall design and the gorilla mask and the belt buckle are pretty cool. Keep at it!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Pretty good for a first piece. Like the others have said, if its for a portfolio the first thing people are going to ask is how are you at anatomy. Posting here for the purpose of improving is worth more when you let viewers see your progress and how you build up a character. Really the best way is to show the base naked figure in rotation. Probably starting out with sketches or the reference shots you are working from. Then clothing your base.