Home General Discussion

Who loves and hates pixel art, and why?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
OverTheMoon polycounter lvl 6
This is an odd question, so I'll try and be clear:

We're working on a game that juxtaposes high and low fidelity, and plays with some ideas around past/future as a consequence.  We're currently working on how to frame/market our project. I believe that any topic at large tends to have more or less popular ways of framing it. This is good to know because using what people already think is a good jumping off point for making our game more accessible, conceptually! 

Do you think there are more common stories surrounding pixel art or high fidelity art these days? what do you think they are? For example, some might be:
  • Pixel art is hipster bullshit.
  • Pixel art is a neurotic fixation on the past.
  • Pixel art is saving us by ignoring the absurd bloat of modern games and returning us to when games were games
  • High fidelity art is quality and refinement.
  • High fidelity art is the unconscious pursuit of realism without necessity or justification.
I imagine I could think up a few more that I've sensed. However, I don't know to what extent any of those (or what ever you might think of) is commonly understood. One more note - I'm looking for ideas that people may be aware of, not necessarily agree with. 

Super curious to hear your thoughts on this!!

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I like pixel art when it's done well, and especially like it when 3D and pixel art are used together (see Breath of Fire 4, or the work of Brendan Sullivan).

That said, I'm not completely sure what you're asking in your post? Stories? Do you mean you want to know what the various arguments are for/against pixel art being used on modern media? If so I'd say you should ignore such arguments. There are plenty of extremely successful pixel art games being made these days, and pixel art styles can vary wildly, so most people who hate it likely do so for misguided reasons (seen too much shovelware / asset flips and now think of those as representing all pixel art, or think pixel art is stealing resources that could be used for another art style they prefer).
  • OverTheMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey PolyHertz! Thanks for the reply, that stuff is gorgeous!  I agree entirely about mixing 3D and pixel art. Something about it is really interesting. That's part of what I'm playing with in my latest project.  Also the term "Shovelware" is great. I think your theory about consumers associating quickly made junk with pixel art is probably true. In fact "pixel art is quickly made junk" is a good example of what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for the truth for all time, but rather partial opinions. 

Sorry, it's a weird question so asking it is tricky.  Yeah, by stories I suppose I mean something like "commonly held ideas about what pixel art is and what it means."  Basically in our game, we're using low-fi and hi-fi art to represent different ideas. The premise of the game is a conflict between those ideas. That's all well and good, but the problem is that I'm not just free to make low-fi and hi-fi art mean what ever I want.  I think what I made is clear, but it's occurred to me lately that I haven't done a good enough job being in contact with others, and how they already see the entire topic. This will inform perhaps little adjustments that I could make to help my project make sense for more people more intuitively. Does that make sense?

Also, an update form other conversations I'm having.
    • Pixel art seems to be pretty universally associated with nostalgia (this is obvious, I suppose)
    • The slur "Indie Pixel Trash" has come up, which I had forgotten about. IMO that's hilarious and perfect because I identify it as being sort of "in the lexicon" at large.

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Like we say here, "for tastes, colors".

I don't like all pixel art games, but when they are well done, i like them. Well crafted things will be cool always.

https://twitter.com/jmw327
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D458BiCWkAAKuMZ?format=png&name=medium
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Pixel art doesnt interest me so...
    PolyHertz said:

There are plenty of extremely successful pixel art games being made these days, and pixel art styles can vary wildly, so most people who hate it likely do so for misguided reasons ..
    I must be misguided :)
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being uninterested in something isn't the same as hating it.
  • OverTheMoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe this is the flaw is me asking the question, because I'm not trying to start a fight, but... Kanga, the more clearly you express your distaste, the more helpful it would be for me. I certainly won't take it personally if you tell me why something I like is either boring, garbage... what ever. I'm not looking to be right here, I'm looking to understand.

Look - this analogy is actually wrong, but maybe it's helpful... imagine that I'm making a jar for two ants to be placed inside and shaken up to fight one another. Only those ants are people who either love or hate lowfi and hifi art, I'm looking for how to get them riled up. "heeyyy pixel art fan... this guy tells me you're indie pixel trash! What do you think about his love of hifi art??"
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    I like playing Minecraft so I guess that makes me a 'lover" not a hater : P
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ah ok, the quote mentions hate. I don't hate pixelart, it just doesn't interest me, apart from the fact that it has been categorized as an art style and is really the beginning of what we are busy with now. Given the choice between Minecraft and Zero Horizon I'd go for the latter every time, for the game play and the art style.
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I love pixel art, never tried it much myself but boy does it look like fun when you see it, but to achieve it is another matter especially animated stuff.

Edit: Flappy Bird was popular and wasn't that "pixel" art? not sure never played it myself ever.  If done right i can see it making a come back, but you have to take things up a notch is all and i think you can put back a fresh spin on the style.  Idk if this helps just trying to.

Idk if this was 3D meets Pixel art but i really enjoyed: Vandal Hearts (psx) the original.  I want more of that, idc if its an exact copy it was entertaining fun and had a decent story, number 2 i never played once they changed the characters for me it lost its charm entirely.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz said:
    I love pixel art...If done right i can see it making a come back
    Eh? Pixel art made its come back starting about 10 years ago.
    Terraria, Shovel Knight, Owlboy, Hyper Light Drifter, Stardew Valley, Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, Hotline Miami, Katana Zero, Cross Code, Freedom Planet, Axiom Verge, Broforce, Celeste, Undertale, Blasphemous, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Sonic Mania, etc.
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    I find that a lot of the gripe with pixel art doesn't come from within the industry but rather the gaming community. A lot of people just think its super easy and that its a cop-out. I find that those people have very little insight into the process or design of such things in game. Owlboy style high-def pixel art is my favorite and it begins to falloff towards the style like Gungeon or lower-def. Nothing to do with how much time they take to produce mind just aesthetic sense.

I really liked a horror game that came out a while back that was side scrolling low-def pixel art that was quite charming because of color use and design choice. When something becomes super saturated people are going to hate on it for just being popular and prevalent.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    There are a lot of great new "pixel art" games nowadays.

Party Hard 1 & 2 (2 is pseudo 3D), Chasm, Owlboy, Moonlighter, Dead Cells, Forager, Gaveyard Keeper... i could make a huge list.

BTW, i still enjoy metal slug games or super metroid. They aged very well in contrast to 3D games.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Never liked pixel art much myself. Dunno why, I think I just don't like squares and such an overt, identifiable style. Strangely I find chunky dreamcast era graphics really endearing. Like shenmue. I just love the characters in that game. I think I like it because it never seems like it is trying really hard to impress. You have to look a little closer before you begin to notice the attentive details and charm.

As to statements made in OP, I wouldn't agree with any of that and think you may be over thinking things. If you dunno what style to choose, just weigh pros and cons. You can speculate about market interest forever. If you don't habe real relevant data and education to understand and use data intelligently, best thing is to go with style you know you can do well and deliver on time.

Also important to note artist opinion on styles will be different from gamers opinion. Not the same demographic.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I hate when modern pixel art games break the pixel grid or rotate/scale pixels.

Also not a fan of too much pixel lighting and shadow effects. Don't mind a bit of rim lighting or reflections, but when a game has pixel art with depth of field, soft shadows, waving grass, reflections, etc, all at once, makes my eyes bleed.

I generally prefer pixel art that is more rooted in the past, has similar limitations and restricted pallets, obviously directly influenced by certain games and certain styles.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14

pixel or optimized /blocky)voxel still reduce significant amount of labor work and performance at the sametime,   aesthetically still acceptable because the pattern is consistent and easy to recognize. 
    easily optimized by default.  (digital art bound to pixel at its core.)
      so thats why it still popular among small dev and some audiences regardless the current gen can render way more detail than that

some pixel and voxel art can still be mixed with current gen element such lighting and effect . 
    https://youtu.be/HT39Ji_J_RE
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    ZacD said:

Also not a fan of too much pixel lighting and shadow effects. Don't mind a bit of rim lighting or reflections, but when a game has pixel art with depth of field, soft shadows, waving grass, reflections, etc, all at once, makes my eyes bleed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pupdeq1MoVw

Aaah come on ! This kind of stuff should tickle every nerd body. Flash Back and Blade Runner :3

I do believe that fine pixel art games (eg metal slug, still impressive imo) age better than 3d games.
    Nostalgia too, ofc.
    I like the beauty through simplicity and economy.
    Doing bad pixel art is fast, hence a lot of little indie games / game jams use it.
    Doing good pixel art is hard.
    I don't mind extra effects on it. Though breaking some laws like rotating pixels is a bit breaking the mere beauty of a grid.
    Looks pretty dope aswell.