Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Space station bay (Need feedback)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
FuryAndMadness polycounter lvl 8
Hi all! This is my fist work in UE4. Please give me a feedback on my work)
Page on Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Z5WO8w

Replies

• HixaLupa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    I like it! You could maybe add some interest with small boxes or props in the corridor, and maybe mix up the wall panels on some sections? Like something with pipes, screen or something like a first aid box or poster! Depending on your intentions for it you could add bootprints or other roughness break-up on the floor, and maybe signs of water dripping on the big pipes? Not like leaky drips but if there's any moisture in the air they might condense on the pipes and leave little blemishes.

That might seem like a lot of crit but it's looking awesome! Just some ways you could spice up an already strong scene :)
  • FuryAndMadness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa said:
    I like it! You could maybe add some interest with small boxes or props in the corridor, and maybe mix up the wall panels on some sections? Like something with pipes, screen or something like a first aid box or poster! Depending on your intentions for it you could add bootprints or other roughness break-up on the floor, and maybe signs of water dripping on the big pipes? Not like leaky drips but if there's any moisture in the air they might condense on the pipes and leave little blemishes.

That might seem like a lot of crit but it's looking awesome! Just some ways you could spice up an already strong scene :)
    Ok, thanks for feedback!)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Lighting is too uniform and lacks any interest. Solid models, yet material definition isn't very interesting. Needs some props to break up the scene. Think about adding a fire extinguisher, possibly a smaller human size door to indicate a room or storage closet. Hanging wires? Maintenance panels, or a treehouse type hatch on the floor to an access ladder (having it open and showing part of a ladder and having a different color light to direct the viewers eye would be awesome). I'd tone down the lighting overall, and focus visual interest on the main rear door and any of the above mentioned items to start to tell a story and make the scene more believable. 

Good environment work should tell a story, or at the very least have at least one visual landmark to distinguish itself from the rest. (Think of your scenes as backdrops to a live play....even though there are actors on stage (translated for our medium - the players or characters), doesn't mean they don't have visual props on set to help aid their storytelling (Hamlet holding the skull prop), or even large set pieces to help aid the storytelling (smoke on the floor, and a rowboat on wheels for Phantom of the Opera). You can look at scenes the same way. Just adding one or two props can tell an entire story.

Possible suggestion:
    Open vent (like an air duct), blood stain on floor....smeared blood going into the vent. (roughly two assets), and with some more moody lighting, you now have something visually interesting. (Not saying you have to go this direction...but you can get more creative and think of something you want to say visually).

Good luck

• Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    It's a good start, but as above, it's too uniform.

I don't think you need to turn it into a space horror piece though. But some objects that make it look lived in are good. Put some juryrigged fixes on he walls, taped up signs/posters, etc.

Also could use a lot more variation in panels, including making sure the X panel is used only rarely since it's the least interesting. Right now anyone can see you just have the one corridor segment repeating.
  • FuryAndMadness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting is too uniform and lacks any interest. Solid models, yet material definition isn't very interesting. Needs some props to break up the scene. Think about adding a fire extinguisher, possibly a smaller human size door to indicate a room or storage closet. Hanging wires? Maintenance panels, or a treehouse type hatch on the floor to an access ladder (having it open and showing part of a ladder and having a different color light to direct the viewers eye would be awesome). I'd tone down the lighting overall, and focus visual interest on the main rear door and any of the above mentioned items to start to tell a story and make the scene more believable. 

Good environment work should tell a story, or at the very least have at least one visual landmark to distinguish itself from the rest. (Think of your scenes as backdrops to a live play....even though there are actors on stage (translated for our medium - the players or characters), doesn't mean they don't have visual props on set to help aid their storytelling (Hamlet holding the skull prop), or even large set pieces to help aid the storytelling (smoke on the floor, and a rowboat on wheels for Phantom of the Opera). You can look at scenes the same way. Just adding one or two props can tell an entire story.

Possible suggestion:
    Open vent (like an air duct), blood stain on floor....smeared blood going into the vent. (roughly two assets), and with some more moody lighting, you now have something visually interesting. (Not saying you have to go this direction...but you can get more creative and think of something you want to say visually).

Good luck

Thank you for such a detailed feedback! I will remember it)
  • FuryAndMadness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio said:
    It's a good start, but as above, it's too uniform.

I don't think you need to turn it into a space horror piece though. But some objects that make it look lived in are good. Put some juryrigged fixes on he walls, taped up signs/posters, etc.

Also could use a lot more variation in panels, including making sure the X panel is used only rarely since it's the least interesting. Right now anyone can see you just have the one corridor segment repeating.

OK. In the next work, I will add more variety and history to the scene)