Home Career & Education

Is a degree necessary when working in the games industry in Europe as a US citizen?

marvinator
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
marvinator polycounter lvl 3
If I'm a US citizen looking for a job as a 3D artist in europe (let's say within the EU, countries such as Spain, Germany, Poland, etc.), is it possible to receive a work/residence permit without a degree? Does it depend on the country? Any european recruiters here who've come across a similar case?

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    probably not, I have only became eligible for work visas abroad in many countries after working in the industry for 12 years, thats the ammount of experience they want if you don't have a degree. 

it's not the studios rules/expectations you are dealing with, its the countries/ EU rules. the good news is there are plenty of awesome places to work in the US if you don't have a degree. 
  • maxsc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxsc polycounter lvl 6
    No it's almost impossible to get work permit for a EU country without a degree (in your field of interest) or a ton of justified experience. EU rules are pretty strict when it comes to working visa, plus the rules might be even more strict depending on the country. Being from Belgium, I know it's a nightmare to get a working visa here. There are a ton of requirements and your employer might have to justify a lot of things to the administration just to convince them to look at your visa request.
    https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/working-schengen-visa/
  • marvinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marvinator polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the responses. I might consider switching studies and getting a bachelors in digital games or something here in Germany. There are two public university programs that are offered English (in Köln and Darmstadt). I know there are opportunities in the states, but I would rather stay near to Germany for personal reasons.