Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback about my porfolio

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
sirHelix polycounter lvl 5

(The first thing I'm sorry if this post doesn't go here, I didn't know whether to put it in  "CAREER & EDUCATION" or here, because I ask about both things)

Hi, my name is Borja, I'm new around here, so I'll give you a little summary about me. 

I'm a recent graduate and since a few weeks ago I've started to apply to several Jobs, but I haven't had any answer. Because of this and because I know that my level is still far away, I have decided that this year I will train online to continue improving. 

The first thing I would like to have is a little feedback from my portfolio, good jobs, bad jobs or jobs to improve, or what improvements you would add. 

I would like to be able to pay for a course on cgspectrum or CGMA, but right now I don't have the $$$ to afford it, so I'm going to improve with free tutorials. I've seen that Artstation has a Learning platform, and it's quite affordable, do you recommend paying for the upgrade to have artstation learning or do you think it's not worth it? 

And also in thegnomonworkshop, for $50 a month you have many courses and video tutorials, is this site recommended?

Thank you very much, any feedback is welcome.  <3

Artstation : https://www.artstation.com/sirhelix

PD: If you know of any course on environment that is affordable or free, please tell me about it. 

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    Well I think for one thing your portfolio doesn´t show what you wanna do, you got props, characters, environments and materials. it´s generally not a great idea to spread yourself thin by doing a bit of everything. I assume that´s because your school assigned you all kinds of stuff to do but now that you´re  not in school anymore you might wanna pick a direction and buckle down on that. 
    The edges on your props have too sharp edges so they don´t look like you baked down from a high poly, if you didn´t model a high poly then start doing that, if you did then don´t make your edges so sharp.
     Also be careful with the smart masks in substance, your medkit has the same amount of edge wear all over, that doesn´t really happen. 
    Personally I don´t think the Artstation learning platform has what you need as of now, it´s still in very early stages. Gnomon stuff is probably better but I´ve never used it so I don´t know. 
    For tutorials I would probably go for gumroad stuff from artists like Simon Fuchs for example, alot of amazing artist are selling tutorials on gumroad and similar sites. The poluycount wiki is also full of good stuff.
    But watching tutorials isn´t enough, be sure to post work in progess stuff and get feedback. Good luck :)

• Brain_Slave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brain_Slave polycounter lvl 5
    ^ Totally agree. It's better to decide the field of your work first, because right now it's hard to say if you are character or environment artist.

I think gnomon tutorials might be a bit difficult for begginer level, it's better to start with tutorials from gumroad or cubebrush. There's a lot of interesting stuff there.
  • sirHelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sirHelix polycounter lvl 5
    Well I think for one thing your portfolio doesn´t show what you wanna do, you got props, characters, environments and materials. it´s generally not a great idea to spread yourself thin by doing a bit of everything. I assume that´s because your school assigned you all kinds of stuff to do but now that you´re  not in school anymore you might wanna pick a direction and buckle down on that. 
    The edges on your props have too sharp edges so they don´t look like you baked down from a high poly, if you didn´t model a high poly then start doing that, if you did then don´t make your edges so sharp.
     Also be careful with the smart masks in substance, your medkit has the same amount of edge wear all over, that doesn´t really happen. 
    Personally I don´t think the Artstation learning platform has what you need as of now, it´s still in very early stages. Gnomon stuff is probably better but I´ve never used it so I don´t know. 
    For tutorials I would probably go for gumroad stuff from artists like Simon Fuchs for example, alot of amazing artist are selling tutorials on gumroad and similar sites. The poluycount wiki is also full of good stuff.
    But watching tutorials isn´t enough, be sure to post work in progess stuff and get feedback. Good luck :)

Yeah, I agree that I'm going to have to specialize, because as you said it's all so varied because they're subjects we've had in class. I'm going to take the direction of environment because I think it's the one I like the most. 

I always bake, so I'll be careful with edges so sharp. 

I'm gonna take a look at gumroad, and yes, my intention now is to be active in polycount and post the progress to get some feedback because now I have no teachers who can help me. :D 

Thank you very much 

^ Totally agree. It's better to decide the field of your work first, because right now it's hard to say if you are character or environment artist.

I think gnomon tutorials might be a bit difficult for begginer level, it's better to start with tutorials from gumroad or cubebrush. There's a lot of interesting stuff there.
    Thank you too, I'm gonna take a look at all this platforms, to see what interests me more. 
    ;)