Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel - Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
JulioCruzalta polycounter lvl 2
Hi, I want to share you my demo reel... :)  

https://youtu.be/NFfAn9zr79g

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Not sure if you want feedback, but there are a couple of things to point out. First, environment artists should rather have some nice still images instead of a demo reel. There are many reasons for this, I won't go into much detals regarding this topic. Just look up why not to have a demo reel. You'll surely find some very useful information on this topic. The second thing is that the first piece you are showing seems very lazy and low technique wise. Its very high poly compared to that its real time rendered. It also doesn't show any of the neat tricks that are used extensively in properly made game environments (modularity and tiling textures in particular). The second piece which is a prop also looks very high poly and poorly textured. The assets of the japanese graveyard are more game-like, I would say this is the most competent piece of all of them.  Do you have a portfolio? What are you aiming for, or what are your goals? With the lack of information, its hard to give more advice than this.
  • JulioCruzalta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JulioCruzalta polycounter lvl 2
    Obscura said:
    Not sure if you want feedback, but there are a couple of things to point out. First, environment artists should rather have some nice still images instead of a demo reel. There are many reasons for this, I won't go into much detals regarding this topic. Just look up why not to have a demo reel. You'll surely find some very useful information on this topic. The second thing is that the first piece you are showing seems very lazy and low technique wise. Its very high poly compared to that its real time rendered. It also doesn't show any of the neat tricks that are used extensively in properly made game environments (modularity and tiling textures in particular). The second piece which is a prop also looks very high poly and poorly textured. The assets of the japanese graveyard are more game-like, I would say this is the most competent piece of all of them.  Do you have a portfolio? What are you aiming for, or what are your goals? With the lack of information, its hard to give more advice than this.
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your feedback. Can you give a feedback of my portfolio please? this is the link: https://www.artstation.com/julio_cruzalta
    I want to be environment / prop artist. Thack you so much. 
  • TheGabmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    I looked at your portfolio. My suggestion is to show only the best of our work as an environment artist for games. The Japanese Graveyard 2.0 and Dragon Fortress 2.0 both catch my attention, perhaps place them first.

You seem to be very interested in ArchViz. My suggestion is to choose at most two of your best ArchViz pieces. Having too much of these will make viewers think that you're more interested in ArchvViz than games. For everything else, my suggestion is to remove them or to improve them to the same quality as the best of your works.

A great tip here is that a portfolio follows the law of averages. The weakest pieces will pull down the overall quality of a portfolio. Right now, your best pieces are having a hard time shining because of the others.