Home Technical Talk

Rendering local vs network backburner thread ripper

Machiavelli
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Machiavelli polycounter lvl 9
Hi everyone, I Hi I need help regarding whether there is a difference between rendering on different chipsets which are from different companies.
Intel vs AMD.
Rendering via 3ds max 2020 (Arnold) Standard surface shaders with the maps unwrapped and made in substance, baked out and applied to the correct nodes. (some of the shaders have different settings (Currently) for each part of this product.
Rending locally is (Intel)
We render to a thread ripper (AMD) via Backburner and our results are completely different.
I am aware that the faces on some of the models need smoothing groups sorting (perhaps) and their shaders updating to be the same throughout however getting poly facets on the network render projecting different light bounces - which isn't happening on the local render...
Also could the thread ripper have to have a certain settings set up to achieve the same results as the intel chip. Arnold is new to us and so is this thread ripper, We have used backburner on a network for many years using Mental Ray. Arnold and thread ripper has been purchased to take the stress off one of our other servers.
Has anyone come across these problems before?
Much appreciate all answers

Replies

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Have you checked your rendering logs, are there any errors? Maybe your render-server doesnt have access to all of your texture files.
  • Machiavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Machiavelli polycounter lvl 9
    .Wiki said:
    Have you checked your rendering logs, are there any errors? Maybe your render-server doesnt have access to all of your texture files.

Hi .Wiki! Thank-you for quick response! Yes they have access, I checked asset tracker and they all follow the correct paths! I am wondering whether its to do with light being calculated by two different types of cpu? Or does this not matter?

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Mixing different types of CPUs/architectures might indeed cause this, depending on what feature set your materials tap into.

I recall this was a common issue back when I started - output from Intel, Mips, Alpha platforms running the same software would create all sorts of visual issues that prevented animations from looking consistent.

Definitely try running just on one platform or the other first.