Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NEWBIE doing Daily Head Sculpts for 30 days.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis godlike master sticky
    Your ears are massive here. Note the tops of the ears should line up with the eye area. Also, work on the neck muscles, especially those that connect the neck to the skull in the back.

Someone mentioned the planes of the face to me a while back. Maybe try a different style and try for more ridged model in order to study these planes?

• seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle
    @Ashervisalis....thanks for the advice.......worked on another female head with planes and proportions in mind this time.........now that I look at it that way, ears were indeed massive haha.
    Found this handy android application."handy", it's got some  3d planar heads that i used for reference this time.

(26/30)
    Spend some extra time on the low poly stage for this one.

How much time do you think I should be spending on these none heads?........currently it takes me 2 hours and sometimes 3 to do them.

Tnx for reading.
  • Lou_
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Hey dude I know this is a lame bit of crit, however it will give you a big win. Proportions. Be super attentive to size in the relation to other things. It is a big win for all the other cool stuff to pay off on. Your sculpt looks very refined, but I thing you are rushing to secondary details (totally what I used to do). Use reference and be careful looking the big forms. 

I went in liquify in photoshop, very quickly, to demostrate the benefit. 

• seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle
    @Lou_ That's a huge difference no doubt......thanks for taking your time editing in photoshop.........i totally avoided neck part until now(too posterior compared to yours)....will keep those proportions in mind from now on.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    This last one is the best so far :)
  • seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle

(27/30)
    Well...female faces look nice even without over-exaggerated anatomy information which is a major weak point of mine right now......will be studying in-depth face and neck anatomy next month alongside doing daily body anatomy sculpts so that will change many things.

Tnx for reading.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    The area right above the eye and close to the nose looks weird in this one. Almost like she has a second eye lid.
  • seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle
    The area right above the eye and close to the nose looks weird in this one. Almost like she has a second eye lid.
    now that i look at it, it does look weird, i was trying to add some variation to eye lids, didn't go so well......guess I will do some mouth, nose, eye, ear studies in isolation.
    tnx for the crit.
  • seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle
    (28/30)
    Did a quick sculpt (1.5 hrs).
    Didn't go so well huh.
    Disgusted look wasn't intentional, guess I will need to study expressions a bit as well, slightest of the changes make huge differences that i an usually unaware of until i look at the face as a whole.
  • seigearts
  • seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle

(30/30) 1 hr sculpt
    Finally......
    The last ones were a pain in the A to do, I am out of the city and had to do these on a friend's PC.

Although this month wasn't really that intense and I couldn't give it my all, I still learned a lot about sculpting workflows and overall head structure...skull and planes at least.
    Now equipped with this knowledge + wrist and neck pain, I will be starting my next month's daily routine which will be - doing body anatomy sculpts + some heads ( will start sculpting hairs as well ).

I have approximately 12 hours  a day for next 2 months to work on improving.....so the plan is to learn to sculpt full male and female bodies in October ( not going into too much detailing or refining ), and then do some intense challenge for November( maybe 100 full bodies + heads in a month ).

Thank you guys for sticking with me and all the help.......hope to see you in the next thread.
  • LuizHD
    Offline / Send Message
    LuizHD polycounter lvl 7
    Great improvement. I'd now focus on increasing your skills in anatomy in order to improve your first and second pass of shapes and details.
    Working one one head a week is a good exercise. Also pick a person and use him/her as a reference. That should help you a lot.
  • Nick_Simmons
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick_Simmons polycounter lvl 4
    You are making progress. If i could recommend something: please download this mesh from Vimal's gumroad linked on this post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VkvDN. Open up this FREE asset and STUDY it in your own zbrush. Studying masterworks like this with a very keen eye will improve your skills. Hell even try copying it from dynamesh sphere just for studies sake if you'd like.

Also be mindful of your focal length (perspective) when sculpting. Perhaps do a sculpt with perspective turned off or set the focal length to something closer to 85 - 100 MM

Keep up the good fight!
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Amazing work, super fun thread to follow and read through.

Overall the back of your skulls are still to narrow and squished, I think you can push some of the masses some more. It is great you have sticked through and done this, quantity is a great way to learn. I would still say you should work more on the proportions, so you nail them all the time. Looking forward to your next challenge. 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You are making progress. If i could recommend something: please download this mesh from Vimal's gumroad linked on this post: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VkvDN. Open up this FREE asset and STUDY it in your own zbrush. Studying masterworks like this with a very keen eye will improve your skills. Hell even try copying it from dynamesh sphere just for studies sake if you'd like.
    +1
  • seigearts
    Offline / Send Message
    seigearts triangle
    @LuizHD will surely do 1 week heads, started learning head anatomy in depth this month so that should help as well.

@Nick_Simmons Thanks for the asset, that helps a lot. my observation skills aren't near as great as you guys yet so using 3d reference works wonders for me.
    copying using dynamesh sphere over it is how i learned to sculpt skull so yea...will probably study this the same way.
    about the focal length, I did use 80 mm for last few sculpts...will try boosting it to 90 i guess.

@Nuclear Angel thanks for pointing that out.....will keep doing daily quick skull sclupts and increase the cranial size.....I think i keep doing that because I am not used to see heads without hairs yet.

Thanks for the replies guys....means a lot.
    I will keep posting any major head sculpt progress here.

created thread for anatomy sculpts. 
    continuation : daily anatomy sculpts
    https://polycount.com/discussion/214672/newbie-learning-anatomy-uploading-daily-progress#latest
    arrived home a few hours ago so couldn't really give in that many hours today still did 1 diagnostic sculpt to analyse my current standing.....its terrible though.