Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - How can I make brushes ignore inactive subtools?

insane polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Fabi_G insane polycounter
Hi!

I want to imbed some sphere into another mesh. Problem is, that I can't really sculpt the transition in the holding mesh (active subtool), because the brushes are affected by the sphere-subtool. Switching on Transparency makes brushes ignore inactive subtools, but then the scene is hard to read.

I will continue to look for a solution, but if someone can help me out would be great  =)

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Not sure what you are trying to do. Can you post a screenshot?
    If you are trying to integrate a form with 2 subtools you can merge them (merge down is under the subtool list) then use the polygroup menu under tools main menu, click auto at the top and put the 2 models in different polygroups. Just mask the mesh you don't want to alter while working on the other.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Maybe topo masking would help in the Brush settings.
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, thank you for taking the time to respond :-) 

Here is a screenshot to illustrate what's happening (hope it's understandable)

I want to sculpt the transition between the inactive subtool (Sphere) and the active subtool to really embed one into the other (in a use case some monster eyes into monster head). In this setup though, the sphere subtool affects the behaviour of the brush. How can I possibly switch this of, so the brush is onvly affected by the active subtool without having to use Transparency since this is hard to read.

Will try your suggestions and give update, ty!

• 2busychild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2busychild polycounter lvl 7
    maybe try this but Ghost Transparency need to be off
    under Preferences/Draw set Front Opacity and Back Opacity to 0
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With merging subtools and masking out one of them, the masked area would still affect the brush.
    I played around with mask by topology, but I didn't understand what it does so far.

Changing the Draw-Preferences as described by @2busychild and enabling Transparency with Ghost disabled seems to give the desired effect: Brush-Behaviour is not affected by inactive Subtools and I can still see what's going on. I'm happy  =)

Once again, thanks for your time & help people.