Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Melazee polycounter lvl 11
Hi Polycount! 

I have been trimming my portfolio, but there are a couple of things I am stuck on, and I need your help with. Now, I am not after a job, that is not what my portfolio is for or else I would ensure all my submissions had the topology showing and whatnot. I want my portfolio to just look nice, attractive, and consistent. 

My questions are:-

1. What actually looks good/bad from a thumbnail point of view on my main page? Does my main gallery look attractive at first glance, or is it a bit naff and could be improved? By removing? If not, what exactly could improve it in future pieces? 

2. Would you remove the 2D art? 

3. What else do you suggest I create in order to have a nice looking gallery? I'm a bit sick of fanart (bar the Retrogasm stuff of course), but non fanart never seems to gain traction. Makes me think I am just trying to hide behind a lack of skill, I don't know. It always makes my gallery feel a bit deviantart-y though. What do you think?

Link: https://www.artstation.com/yasmin-down

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It's a bit odd that a lecturer of game art is asking for portfolio critique :P

It's a really slick looking portfolio. I wish the bat was textured. Aside from that no critiques. I'd keep the 2D stuff in there.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much! I find it's always good to get critique as I have been out of the industry for 2 years, and if my portfolio is sucky, then it's not setting a great example for the students. I don't want to get complacent now! :P Not only that, it's always great to get a second pair of eyes on it, and my friends are just too kind for it haha.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Talk to artists to have your ego broken down. Talk to friends and family to feel like a master of art haha
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Considering how many animal characters you have, you should definitely spend some time learning how to render detailed fur. Doing paint overs for fur (like on Daxter) isn't really a proper solution.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree about the fur. I once bought the Neofur plugin, gutted when they stopped developing it after that. I always meant to use it on Daxter, but alas no more! Perhaps a couple of fur tests might be a good idea! I have a project on the go that might be ideal for those tests.