Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Critique] Destroy or lick my Portfolio ?!

Hi everyone,
I joined Polycount not long ago as i realized it was old (like me) and popular (not like me) !
Then i found some cool stuff here... 

I just like to ask some advice to you guys... as my goal is to work in the industry, as freelance at first...
I can't say i really went forward to contact people/companies/studios yet... because i'm not sure i have enough in my portfolio to do so. 
So... since i don't know.. i hesitate.
What do you think ?

https://www.artstation.com/kenji-art

Also, i think i need to FOCUS on something. I can't just go from environment to teddy bears and SFi props... 
I feel naturally confident with mechnical/technical geek stuff.. Like robots... but i don't feel good at designing fancy characters (because i did not study drawing and anatomy for instance). I like environment because i like to create atmospheres and mood, but if i wanted to be a environment concept artist, i suppose i would have to learn painting !!! and get idea very fast on screen/paper!!! Anyway it's different...i guess...

What should i do next to make this portfolio better ? (or what NOT to make to make it worst?!)
I was thinking about a bad ass cyborg, with bio mechanical features; mix of brains and steel alloy and so on...; a piece that would take more more than a few hours like my last props for instance...
Or shall i go for an environment but with a story... ? some characters in it this time ? to bring some humanity into it...

I also thought that technically i should learn and add a game engine in my workflow.. Like.. unreal for instance ? i'm very attracted by the RT ray tracing and i saw amazing stuff with it. I don't know if that would be a good idea.

Oh yeah... please feel free to contact me if you have some work :3

Thank you

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    First I'd remove these pieces, they aren't as good as the rest of your work and are bringing down the overall quality of your portfolio:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zADRXq
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQ4LKe
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Dxog8e

Next, like you guessed, you need to have some work running in a game engine (like Unreal), and show that you know how to optimize topology and textures for games.

Don't worry about characters, you don't need to know how to make them. Good environment artists are more in-demand then character artists anyways because everyone wants to make characters. Just focus on environment art and you'll do fine.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    You have some good stuff in there.  Didnt look too closely at everything but for this piece, https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQ4LKe, I don't think you need to nix it completely.  Namely, the lighting and possibly materials are letting it down.  The modeling looks really good actually.  I would completely rework the lighting to show off the assets more...it's really dark and hard to see anything.  The focus is really unclear.  When i see the model, I see potential but the lighting really kills it.  Rework it and repost it is my advice for that scene.
  • kenji_aito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thank you for your two first comments. Everything is helping a lot. @PolyHertz : high demand on environments (including props i suppose, inside the environment). I see... 
    So you would remove some stuff ? I was afraid to remove stuff and have a too short portfolio.

What do  you think is bad in my latest https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Dxog8e ?
    Do you think it would have been better to show ONLY the prop and not the background ?
    A lot of people on Artstation do that and it seems to be enough.

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yes I'd remove those previously mentioned pieces (though like slosh said you might be able to rework one of them). Quality is generally much more important then quantity.

For your latest piece there are several issues. The background is distracting. The wear/tear on the textures makes no sense (should be focused on edges and buttons, but right now much of it its very random). And most importantly the shape itself isn't very memorable or interesting, which is quite important for portfolio piece.
  • kenji_aito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like.. i really should add UE4 and make a complete home made demo  to show i can use and be integrated in a professional pipeline... It could be a hallway, a room filled with props.. who knows...
    What you guys said makes me think... that it would take a lot of time for me to understand tastes and colors... what are the shapes that most people feel attractive ? etc. and i don't think it's the field of the job i'd like (at least, for the moment). And yeah, i think it's damn complicated, relative and changing with time. I find it very interesting but i think it's another story... and as for me, i'm very old school taste kind of guy so i should be careful. For example, for my Blade runner stuff, not that it is so great really.. but it received  a huge range of critiques... from people who liked the mood to people who disliked it because it was too dark and lacked of focus.  Anyway,  last time i was looking for some literature about those question... and i got lost in Amazon ! !

Oh man, it's complicated, but i love it....

All right, when i have something more "practical" in my portfolio, i will clean the rest for sure.

Well, meanwhile more comments are welcomed. Or about what i just said...

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I think its a bit unhygienic to ask people to lick your portfolio :tongue:
    Jokes aside, I agree with the other comments about removing some items. The bladerunner scene could be improved upon with better lighting but the ship communicator and teapot are pretty weak pieces. The wear on the ship communicator doesnt make any sense, the placement looks completely random.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I agree with the other comments in the thread. It sounds like you're moving in the right direction... Make an environment and present it in a game engine. Find an existing piece of concept art as reference if you're getting caught up on all the various creative decisions that go into making an environment appealing.

I'll also add that it might be better to focus on getting a single prop in engine and looking good before you attempt a larger environment. Especially considering your affinity for hard surface, which can be tricky when it comes to texture baking. Good luck!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @PolyHertz
    Kinda wondering why the teapot seems to bring his whole portfolio down?

I mean its no match for the mech he has but as itself it looks pretty spiffy. Would he be rejected because of a teapot? And for what position in which company? How about freelance, a lot of the freelance work I do is architecture viz and they would love a teapot of that quality.
    Though my favorite piece is the kokeshi dolls. 

As do the other pieces, like I agree its more of a VFX/rendering focused portfolio for the moment, but for games would need some breakdowns and in engine work.

@kenji_aito
    Also what is the scene for the type of work you do in Japan? Besides Platinum, Konami and Kojima Productions, are there any indie studios that focus in realism? 
  • 3DKlassen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    I like your portfolio but I'm definitely not going to lick it...
    I agree with @NikhilR , that teapot really is bring it all down. I would prefer to see it removed or set into an environment that works with it.
  • kenji_aito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for your comments... 
    The teapot.. the teapot.. oh man it was mostly a joke because i did not know what to model/shade so i did it with the teapot that was sitting on my desk at that time ! ... and i just started Blender at the beginning.
    I guess i will remove it...
    Do you think it's better to REMOVE or to make an folder "old work" in it ?
    i kept it because i was thinking of 3DSMAX teapot but anyway. And after that , i had nothing in my portfolio at that time !...

Well, i can tell you that your comments encouraged me to go deeper in UE4 and make a full environment in it, where i will work deeply on the mood... and i will also fill it with props. This way i will show how i can integrate my work in a game pipeline. 

@NikhilR about indie studios : hum.. i must say i did not really check about them... for two reaons : i'm not japanese actually ! i can work here but for deep conversation i'm still a bit limited... and second, most of them are in big cities in Japan and ... i feel ok where i am, which is more country side. In Japan freelancing is not very popular i feel... but yes, maybe later, if i have good references ? Well ,i felt my portfolio is not ready yet anyway ... 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    3DKlassen said:
    I like your portfolio but I'm definitely not going to lick it...
    I agree with @NikhilR , that teapot really is bring it all down. I would prefer to see it removed or set into an environment that works with it.
    I was actually wondering why people think the teapot would bring the portfolio down. 
    I like it, I mean if I was hiring him to do hard surface mechs, I certainly wouldn't hire him because of the teapot,
    but I'd still hire him because of the mech despite the teapot.
     Its a nice well rendered piece, would like some breakdowns though.

I guess i will remove it...

@NikhilR about indie studios : hum.. i must say i did not really check about them... for two reaons : i'm not japanese actually ! i can work here but for deep conversation i'm still a bit limited... and second, most of them are in big cities in Japan and ... i feel ok where i am, which is more country side. In Japan freelancing is not very popular i feel... but yes, maybe later, if i have good references ? Well ,i felt my portfolio is not ready yet anyway ... 

I'm not quite sure what difference removing the teapot would make. I mean usually if I'm looking at portfolios I go for what I'd be hiring for.
    I mean its not a poorly done piece, its just a teapot. And its a japanese tea pot which resonates with where you are. 
    Like it would be great to put it in an environment, but honestly you really don't need to make a whole environment just to accommodate a tea pot.

I'd say your portfolio is pretty strong on the 3D generalist rendering side.
    There is an artist you follow who appreciated one of your pieces.
    https://www.artstation.com/mateusz_wielgus

if you plan to develop on the 3D generalist side that is the direction you ought to go.

As far as games go, be aware that there is a lot else than just your portfolio and how top tier you are that decides what kind of work you get. Its a very cutthroat industry atleast here in the west.

I've had projects assigned, then cancelled because a studio shut down and laid everyone off, its an issue that needs to resolve sometime with better regulation.

But keep pushing your art certainly and keep learning!

• kenji_aito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should remove it because... it's... a sculpted teapot... those little roundish stuff on surface are actual geometry.. it's totally overkilled and triangle soup. At that time i did not know how to bake anything really. So this model is terribly NOT optimized. Well i could do it but... maybe.. i could do something else... i did not even add an proper background, just white...

I'm glad you like the kokeshi dolls @NikhilR ! It was very personal and for my daughter(s) anyway.  i thought nobody liked them because it's simple ...though i put some extra attention to the shader... 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    You could move your teapot to a folder if you like. 

My experience has been variable really, like I've been interviewed because of certain pieces, and then the interviewer moves to my sculpts, and loves hearing the story behind my panda mech (collaboration with 3 year old cousin.)
    They also liked me speaking about progression.
    Other instances, poor baby panda mech is the most attacked piece, don't know why, probably don't like kids.
    Like no real criticism, just screw up face.

kinda why i have better luck with multidisciplinary studios.

The story behind your kokeshi dolls brings so much humanity that should be given consideration.
    And the right people would do so after seeing that you have what they need.
  • kenji_aito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NikhilR : i think your panda is totally funky and funny. And i think also that, yes... we make some stuff for ourselves, and some stuff for others... Can we really do both at the same time always ? ...
    Honestly it's not easy but i think i should keep going... as you guys encouraged me to do so.
    It's new and i never worked in this industry, so i just don't know... 

Your comment about the cuthroat industry is interesting. yes. i don't have much experience (not!) but already somebody came to me "hey, you want to be a part of our game project, we have a website, blabla.. " shortly after i published my robot. But the guy told me they don't have money yet , but they can pay "after" (what?)  :) I was like " that's wonderful ... yes, me too, IF I HAD MONEY, i would do some amaziiiiing things too !! wooot!". Of course all the emails were veryyyy formal (to a point that it becomes suspicious)

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @NikhilR : i think your panda is totally funky and funny. And i think also that, yes... we make some stuff for ourselves, and some stuff for others... Can we really do both at the same time always ? ...
    Honestly it's not easy but i think i should keep going... as you guys encouraged me to do so.
    It's new and i never worked in this industry, so i just don't know... 

Your comment about the cuthroat industry is interesting. yes. i don't have much experience (not!) but already somebody came to me "hey, you want to be a part of our game project, we have a website, blabla.. " shortly after i published my robot. But the guy told me they don't have money yet , but they can pay "after" (what?)  :) I was like " that's wonderful ... yes, me too, IF I HAD MONEY, i would do some amaziiiiing things too !! wooot!". Of course all the emails were veryyyy formal (to a point that it becomes suspicious)

Usually with those sorts of project (post project compensation/royalties), you could take it as experience if you have the time and the means, but make sure about signing off model right etc, so your time is well spent.

Any business takes risk, ideally they ought to take out a loan to pay people to work for them, but in games it is entirely possible that the game does well enough that they can pay people after so its post project compensation.

Its very important to know what's in a contract and how much risk you're taking so you are owed the right amount.

By cutthroat industry I mean that its a combination of portfolio and who you know and there isn't always a perfect balance between the two. 
    At the end as an artist always good to brand yourself using all the skills you have at your disposal.

About making personal work, its very important since honestly at any job you may not get as much freedom to do what you want. 
    It really depends, some companies do have initiatives to encourage artists to innovate and usually it does benefit the company also.
    A lot of the initiative is on us to take though.

I never expected people to resent the panda girl, maybe they just had a bad day.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    the models and renderings look good but there is no sign at all that you know how to texture something properly
    Youre getting away with murder right now with offline rendering and slapping procedural materials on everything which then still looks good due to sheer rendering power, but the texturing is nearly nonexistant. Edge definition is key to a good texture, large scale and medium scale details, personalization, unique elements, physical, not only surface level material history. The latest piece (the white gadget) shows that you really need to focus on that hard.

There are many good resources out there, check out Racers classic tutorials, also miniature painting channels do have some good impressions to give. Try to not get blinded by pbr shinyness that makes everything look "decent enough" and check out real references and the best texture work you can find for reference

• kenji_aito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    the models and renderings look good but there is no sign at all that you know how to texture something properly
    Youre getting away with murder right now with offline rendering and slapping procedural materials on everything which then still looks good due to sheer rendering power, but the texturing is nearly nonexistant. Edge definition is key to a good texture, large scale and medium scale details, personalization, unique elements, physical, not only surface level material history. The latest piece (the white gadget) shows that you really need to focus on that hard.

There are many good resources out there, check out Racers classic tutorials, also miniature painting channels do have some good impressions to give. Try to not get blinded by pbr shinyness that makes everything look "decent enough" and check out real references and the best texture work you can find for reference

Yes; that's true. I started to study modeling at first and certainly for texturing it was not my priority, therefore; yes... when i go Substance Painter, well i can use it but i need to learn the art behind it.
    Basically i don't put  as much love in texturing than i do with geometry... And you can feel it so...

Technically i can do stuff in that field, but i will check your recommendations. I will have to work hard on that and baking normals, low/highpoly meshes and so on, so that i can get as much as detail as i need on my stuff and still having a decent number of polygons.
    Finally, in Blender, many things are wonderful but i think the can be done in Painter/Designer is really amazing.

Thank you for your feedback