Home Technical Talk

Practicing fundamentals- Drawing or painting??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Continous practice of the fundamentals to refresh and strengthen your basics is something I am currently undertaking in my free time. Which is the most important -drawing or painting? especially for building muscle memory of how things should look. I also feel painting is important too as to grasp  light, color and shading in 2d.

Replies

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Drawing is the primary skillset from which traditional tactile attributes are derived.
  • ThomasBenjaminHardy
    Offline / Send Message
    ThomasBenjaminHardy polycounter lvl 3
    Out of all the stages, drawing forms the basis for all subsequent stages. Each step informs the next, for example, once you have established a strong drawing  foundation you will then be ready to start practicing with tone. The focus of this step is to train yourself to see how light interacts with objects, only once you have a relatively good idea of light should you tackle colour - for each step requires many hours of practice. 

I guess the best way to analyse what you should be doing, would be to critically asses your current work and look at where you are weakest. This is the surest way I know, to show you what you should be doing.  
  • melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently learning how to make characters in my spare time hopefully for my archiz scenes in future if the need arises. I feel I should learn the basics first like anatomy. From my research, drawing characters all the time is vital so that u can create this on the fly without ever needing references. This is where drawing helps to build a visual library.
    So I am drawing skeleton, muscles, et.c at the moment. Will move on to animals at some point.
    I feel this will enable me build a visual library/ muscle memory faster rather than sculpting the subject matter instead.
  • ThomasBenjaminHardy
    Offline / Send Message
    ThomasBenjaminHardy polycounter lvl 3
    Sounds like you're on track, just keep at, it's a much longer process than people assume it will be. 

As for building a visual library, unless you draw for a living/everyday, it's unlikely you'll manage to build up a reliable visual/muscle memory. Even then, the majority of artists collect reference for the subject they want to draw. I work within film, and I see top senior artists refer to reference for everything that they do, the art is how you interpret the ref and what you choose to use or omit.  Long story short, practice practice practice, get the basics down so you can handle simple things like proportion and construction (I say simple, but it isn't). Beyond that, gather ref, and use it when you create your designs.  

A final point, drawing from ref for learning is one of the best ways to improve your art, but I think another vital element to the process is to critically engage with the subject. For instance, if you are drawing the hips, use reference to get everything in place, but on the side try and figure out the object in 3d space - I think if you can work through drawing the hips from different perspectives you will build a strong understanding of the subject. 

• melviso
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks mate. I intend to draw everyday even if its for 30 mins to an hour.