Home Technical Talk

Modular house parts

LukasArt
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
LukasArt polycounter lvl 3
Hi All,
I am trying to create a modular pieces for my environment in UE4. This is first time I do this and I have few questions on how to handle walls in more professional way.

When I create a modular wall Should I :

1. Keep it as two separate obejcts. So 1 is outer wall and 1 is Inner wall.

2. Keep it as one object without faces on connection points. So in this case if I connect two walls the faces will not intersect.

3. Keep it as one object with faces on connection points. So in this case if I connect two walls the faces will intersect.

I have seen many tutorials where people create modular pieces in different styles but actually do not explain why they do it that or other way. I am trying to find a more professional way of creating assets for production, if there is any.

My first thought was to keep it separate because you don't have intersesctions when you connect them and you get more UV space for details and it's more flexible. Still I can see people who create assets in the way described in point 3 so there must be a reason for that?

Thanks.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    There are various considerations, but with modularity one of the primary goals should be reusability, whether it be a geometry kit or trim sheets, or an atlas, or a combination.

In the specific case of your window wall piece, for ultimate modularity, you could even break it into 3 pieces with the window reveal being a separate object.

It all comes down to design(both aesthetically and technically) and a very solid planning/greyboxing stage. You build your kit with as simple a geometry representation as you can and test the kit in-engine as soon as possible under lighting. There may be lighting issues or leaks that should be resolved at this early greyboxing stage by changing the design of pieces if necessary. The design and style and layout of a level will have a big impact on how the kit is constructed.

Technically, single sided geo can be rendered with a double-sided material or you can use lightblocker proxy geo as needed. There are various costs and tradeoffs technically, but nothing that you should concern yourself with at this early stage of your modular exploration.

UVs aren't an issue unless you're using 0-1 unique, baked texture sheets(which you really shouldn't be for a modular kit) UVs will be making great use of tiling textures and overlapping UV space and/or trim sheets.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed.

On the inside vs outside question, usually the outsides are a completely separate modular set from the insides. When the player is inside, the outsides are mostly turned off, and vice versa. 
  • armagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Do you guys recommend any good video or tutorial for modularity?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
  • LukasArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukasArt polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, 

Thank you for your answers. I solved all my doubts.