Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retrogasm 2019 - Shiva (FFX)

I felt like documenting my progress on polycount would be pretty ideal, so here we go! I picked Shiva because she's my favourite aeon from FFX and it seems more doable with my short break. ALL THE BEST TO MYSELF  B)

The aim of this is to finish a full character as best as I can.

Concept art

I started from a base mesh. Here's my head after tonight. It looks a bit generic, so I may push it more to the concept face. we'll see!
Stuff to do:
- body proportion
- base hair blockout
- accessory and cloth blockouts

Replies

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes I ask myself - Bell, why do you like torture? But such is life. 

Hair blockout is out - initially I wanted to sculpt it in pose but I found it easier to sculpt them in a straight line. I am leaning to leaving it like this so someone can rig too. Referenced the previous model's hair for the positions and length. Thanks to Will Stobo for that handy ref, if not I'll still be counting how many braids she has on her head.

Shaved off some baby fat from her face and finished off the major body parts for now. More blockout to continue.

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today was hobo day so I got more stuff done!

I ran into an interesting issue with her feet. I couldn't tell if it was more creature like or human feet, and the game reference is too blocky to tell. I decided to go for the creature version since she is an aeon. Also, the rest of her aeon buddies are creatures so the mini resemblance seems nice. 

I will consider her blockout done. There is a wrist guard and ice on her body left but I will finish them last. Now I need to start refining everything. Also, I have to improve her anatomy because she is showing alot of skin, will need to dedicate time for that. 

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with improving the body first and it unexpectedly became an anatomy lesson. Unfortunately I couldnt put in the hours today so I will finish her hands and feet tmr  :)  And now I shall go crash on my bed.

As usual, any critique on the anatomy is very welcome! 

• happybell
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up her hands and some minor tweak, I'm satisfied with her body. Now I go on with the costume refining!

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some update on her costume. I alrdy got some nice crit on this version of the face thanks to the poly slackies - that will be in my to-do list. I'll do my best to add them in somehow as I'm kind of taking too much time with the deadline I set for myself  :'(  

• Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Good work on this Happy bell!
    Once again small input on this but  a lot of this is also personnal preference so take everything with a grain of salt :)
    She's about 7 1/2 head tall now which is pretty standard and totally fine, but shiva being this goddess I feel she should feel impressive and statuesque. I would personally Make her slightly taller by making her head slightly smaller.
    I would adjust the weight distribution on her legs so that her curves are strpnger a little lower than where it is at the moment, making her feel more curvy and giving her a very feminine silhouette as well as adding a bit more curves and shape to her legs.
    I think her shoulder/neck and nape area looks just a little odd and maybe a bit too low, especially on the side view.
    Keep up the good work :)

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the head a wee bit smaller and *tried* to fix her face. Fixed her hips as well. Thanks @Tits for the comments!=)

Did up her tattoos and those tassels hanging from her arms

Bonus pic today because i solved my shity polypaint issue: 

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on her crazy hair

This is where I have to make some aesthetic choices. Her hair in game is mostly straight, whereas the figurine produced is curly, and their textures are different. I'm leaning more towards the figurine for now

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some light work tonight, modified the gesture of the body and braids. This will be the final silhouette.

Unfortunately my break ended and I won't be able to work and update as much as I want to.  :'(

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'm lovin' that hair! Keep it up :)
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis thank you!!

Some small update here as I don't have a lot of time to work on it everyday. Did up the ice on her body, did up one braid as a test for the look I wanna give her hair. 

Extra polypaint picture I did tonight, majority of colour scheme is from figurine, except her skin and skirt. Not too sure if I like this scheme yet!

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I don't think the green cloth really fits (colour wise). I think it you went with a triadic colour scheme, and slightly moved the purple a little more towards blue, but then threw in a very small amount of red, it would really make the red pop. Maybe have the very top of the sash red instead of green?
  • happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis thanks for the feedback! it is a nice suggestion but i prefer to use the colour scheme from the official sources. i'll decide on them when texturing  :)

here's my long lost update. pretty much calling the high poly done and i'll go to her low poly next