Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] The legend of King Arthur Artstation Challenge

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Yther polycounter lvl 3
Hi folks!

Here's my contribution to the latest artstation challenge! I'm working on my own concept (an abandoned Excalibur desperately waiting for Arthur's return in a decaying church). As of today, I think I'm done with most of the modeling, with just the vegetation remaining. Then, it'll be time for all the texturing and lighting.

Here's the concept I made:

And here's what I have now, in Unreal Engine 4:

Most of the textures will be done on Substance designer and then applied in Substance painter for all the little details. All of the graffiti will be done with decals, I think.
Feedback and critiques more than welcome =)  

Replies

• LuchaDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the block out looks pretty strong so far other than I think you should just brighten it up a couple of notches  <3
  • Yther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yther polycounter lvl 3
    @LuchaDan Thanks you! I'm waiting for mostly-final textures to tweak the lighting but I'm taking note!

This week, I sculpted the dirt pile and the rock and started working on textures in Substance Designer. These are a first draft and the final result will be tweaked and hand crafted in Substance Painter. I'll add all the vegetation next week.

Here's what it looks like with textures:

And the Substance Graphs (WIP)

The ground

The walls  

The dirt

And an unused for now moss substance

• Yther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yther polycounter lvl 3

I looked at the calendar and panicked a bit. Only two weeks left!

the scene is now significantly less ugly! I think. I've refined the textures of the ground, the side arcades, the dirt pile and the altar and added all the plants.

• Yther
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yther polycounter lvl 3

Alright, almost done! i polished up the textures for the choir and the roof, added details on the windows, more dirt piles and then some debris and small rocks on top of those. i also added some mud on the ground texture because it seemed a little bit clean.

Also I added a little small flare on the sword to make it pop.

Next week's checklist:

- Add all the graffiti decals

- Tone down the shininess of Excalibur, as it doesn't really look natural. Perhaps go for a more rusted/mossy look?

- Do something with the top of the pillars. They're unnaturally flat.

- Add some rain drops

- Tweak the lighting
  • JamieCooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieCooper polycounter lvl 3
    looking pretty good, for the foliage look into adding subsurface in the material as it will help a lot with making it look natural. try and get a skylight in there as the shadows seem too dark and finally, I think your brick textures need the roughness increased. can't wait to see what this turns out like, keep up the good work