Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Saria (Retrogasm Round 3)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
I'm working on Saria for the Retrogasm Art Competition on Facebook.  Critiques are welcome!
I'm going for a blend between the original concept and the character as she appeared in game.

Current WIP:

My progress so far:

I also made a timelapse of my progress so far, I made several different heads as I went along. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVNKyEkzNJA

Will probably play with the head proportions more over the weekend:

Replies

• DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on Saria, decided to stick to updating the N64 model rather than blend it with the original concept. The in game model is what I experienced when I played this game. Feeling good enough with the proportions to start sculpting the hair and cloth now. Crits are welcome!

• DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on Saria, Crits welcome!

• Solid_Otter
    Offline / Send Message
    Solid_Otter polycounter lvl 6
    Good to see other polycounters hopping on the retrogasm challenge. :)
    Solid looking block in
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @Solid_Otter Thanks!

Progress on Saria, handpainted lowpoly. Crits welcome.
  • sarasumm
    Offline / Send Message
    sarasumm polycounter lvl 4
    You're making nice progress. To better match the original design, I'd suggest making her hands and feet bigger.
  • valociraptor
    Offline / Send Message
    valociraptor greentooth
    So cute! You definitely got the character resemblance down :) I agree with the previous poster about scaling up the hands and feet. Here is a paintover I did outlining some simple shape and texture adjustments that jump out at me. Nothing too major, most could be achieved with transpose/gizmo and move tool in zbrush. Can't wait to see her finished!

• JEmerson
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking nice so far. Only critique I have is that the legs look unnatural, particularly the shins being bowed inwards as if broken. That may just be my perception though as I would expect any forward-lean to begin at the ankles or the hips, but not at the knee as I am seeing it here.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @sarasumm thanks! I think the larger hands/feet work better for a character with a head like that
    @valociraptor Thanks for the paint over, that's awesome!  Great notes and I like the texture update as well, really needed some warmth in the shadows.
    @Sigmafie Thank you!  The legs were bugging me as well.  I'm not sure I follow what you're saying 100% but I've made a bunch of small changes to the legs to address the things that were bothering me about them.

I had feedback from the facebook group that suggested making a more complete face and trying various adjustments to proportions.  I think those kinds of changes make it harder to see the character.  This is probably the problem with picking a character with such a simple design.

My schedule has shifted a bit so i have time for something a bit more complex.  Not sure if I should put this character on hold and make something that is more current gen for the competition.  Ultimately, I want a 2-3" tall 3d print of Saria on a stump with the ocarina.  Most of my work lately has been in toys/collectibles, so it would be good to have a sample that I can show now.

If I do make a more complex character for retrogasm it would probably be Kyle "Blackthorne" Vlaros in a fortnite/overwatch style.  In that case Saria would be continued after the contest.