Home Marmoset

Metaballs compatible for marmoset

olaveiras
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
olaveiras polycounter lvl 4
I need to create some blob merging/separating ooze simple effect for a character, but how could I export something that fits in fbx for marmoset? There`s some kind of custom material that could help me to create it?

I thought about joints+blendershapes association, but I can`t figure out how I would get the mesh separeting properly in a convincing "ooze" way. It doesn`t need to be realistic, I`m doing some kind of pokemon cute style creature.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is not something that would be possible via FBX or the material system. However, if you can convert the ooze to geometry, Alembic may be able to handle it.
  • olaveiras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olaveiras polycounter lvl 4
    @EarthQuake I'm deeply impressed. I never head about this type of file before, and worked 100%.
    IDK if I got it wrong, but for what I tested yesterday, It felt I would be able to create many possibilities of things in particles that could never be done by fbx... It just opensed so many possibilities I've never imaginated.

I got stuck by the shape limit (I can just create spherical-ooze shapes ), but I think i'll just create many of them togheter, and mold them to get the shape I want.

Strangely, I've never seen any use of this resource in portfolios (that I would recognize)

I'm really glad I opened this question here. Really appreciated dude
    #gratitude 
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the Alembic format is really cool. You can do all sorts of neat stuff like cloth and liquid simulations with it.

I think the reason it's not commonly seen in portfolios is just that it's rather expensive. By that I mean the file format stores unique vertex positions for every frame, so each frame is a new mesh. This means big file sizes, lots of memory use, etc. So it's not really feasible for most real time uses like games and such. But for rendering, and transferring complex animations from app to app it's great.