Home Career & Education

Realistic Outlook on pursuing concept art

Hello Polycount, 
Just wanted to get some opinions on exactly how concept artists who have never touch 3D , who i assume are in competition when one is applying for a job somewhere versus someone who has strong foundation skills but only really uses 2d.  
I guess , at least for me it's easy to tell when 3d is used(even if it's painted over most of the time), but if the artist is using Cinema 4d , Octane, world builder, etc. That does almost alot of the heavy duty stuff for you.  Versus, painting, and perhaps photo method, how would it be possible to even compete.

Should we all simply just adopt wit the times and get on 3d usage, or does it even matter? Obvisouly have good practical design, will outdo not as good design even with 3d , but largely looking at it, how is 2d supposed to compete with 3d.(i think i know the answer but i'll see what you guys thinks.)

**Also i'm specifically talking about environment concepts, but i suppose it can apply to any category, characters, props, etc.
Should be also worthy to note that i know one can be great at 2d, and it shouldn't matter but sometimes 3d, such programs just have that look about it, that takes a while to build to with 2d

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I'm not a concept artist, however, first things first...post some of your current work so people can gauge where you're at

second...yeah it would probably be a good idea to at least familiarize yourself with some basic 3d modeling.  Is it required?  no.  Will it help you create environment concepts much more quickly than without it?  yes.  And in a production environment the speed with which you can create a concept is going to be important.

If it takes you 3 days to do a concept without any knowledge of 3d modeling, but it takes someone else with a similar experience level 1 day because they know how to utilize simple 3d models in their concept work, that puts you at a serious disadvantage.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It doesn't matter how you make the pictures - we have people scanning pencil drawings where I work and it's not a problem.
    However,  
    Using 3d and getting stuff in game means you have a much better idea of what your work looks like from the player's perspective so you're more likely to turn out better work and you'd be foolish to not take advantage of it. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    One of my favorite youtube channels. This video shows how you can use basic primitives and lights in blender to do what these guys are talking about ^^^

• Someartguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Crack Rock dude and poopipe, and other fellow artist, i kinda figured i would put myself in a better position overall by learning some 3d, but true their are other ways to go about and really the end result matters, ok and thanks Alex for the share, will check it out! thanks guys