Home Technical Talk

Normalizing UV

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ViKa polycounter lvl 3
Hello,
i used UVLayout v2 Pro from Headus for the first time for my UV unwrap.
I modeled a temple entry in 3dsMax and used a bridge script from Miauu to send it to UVLayout.
There i unwrapped my model, sorted my UVs and send it back to Max.
Then i added a UVW unwrap modifier to move the shells a bit and used Textools to straighten the UV Shells.
When i checked the UV with a checker it was totally deformed.
Is there a way to normalize the UV without the Shells in the UV space changing size or position?
Would maybe this help me? http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/advanced-uv-normalizer
Unfortunatly their Video describing the tool has no sound.

Replies

• zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Are you just rescaling one island? Just rescale it until it looks right. Honestly it doesn't look like this mesh was unwrapped properly, did it look different inside headus? Because you've currently got seams running along a flat plane. Most of that object can be unwrapped completely inside 3ds max from from the look of it with just simple plane projections. 
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Normalizing isn't going to fix the bad skewing/distortion you have. You need to relax your islands, at least somewhat. There's a lot of artistic tradeoffs you can make between perfectly relaxed uvs, and skewing the uvs to better align with the pixel grid. However, the amount of skew you have going on just isn't going to work.

In max there's a number of different ways to normalize, from things in the vanilla uv editor to TexTools. Take a look at the documentation for that.
  • ViKa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViKa polycounter lvl 3
    zachagreg said:
    Are you just rescaling one island? Just rescale it until it looks right. Honestly it doesn't look like this mesh was unwrapped properly, did it look different inside headus? Because you've currently got seams running along a flat plane. Most of that object can be unwrapped completely inside 3ds max from from the look of it with just simple plane projections. 
    Thank you for your help, i really need it.
    in Headus it looked fine before i've send it back to Max.
    Those seams runing over the flat top surface can be resolved with a "quick planar" but that leads to auto rescaling and rotation of the UV shell which i like to avoid.

On the screenshot only the basis of the temple entry is visible, there are two more texture maps for the Main part and the roof. They have the same problem. It looks like something went wrong while sending the files from headus to max.

Now the question is how do i fix that for the whole building without the need to redo the whole unwrap? ^^
  • ViKa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViKa polycounter lvl 3
    I found out what has happend: The Bridge Script between Headus and 3dsMax rotated all UVs for 90° and kept their dimensions.
    So while it looked ok UV wise by eye it wasnt.
    What i need to do is to rotate this shell back 90° while keeping its dimensions.
    The question is: how?

• ViKa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViKa polycounter lvl 3
    Ok i guess we can close this one ^^

What to take away from this:
    (until the autor updates it)
    2. This one won't http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/uvpipe-mod-by-norman3d (worked with 3dsMax 2019)

... 2 days of my work went down into the garbage + 2 days spend on searching for the reason why.