Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Character - Hera, Divine Paladin || Full Creation Process

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
Ho' there- it's me!

Been working on this character for a smaller game project for the past few months. 

Her name is Hera- a Paladin who follows the God of Justice. As one of their chosen agents, she's been granted a boon- the Divine Aegis.

It's an ability that grants her supernatural armor that defends her body, making armor unnecessary. She... Dresses down a bit more than usual, because she loves showing off the power of her Deity (She's actually a huge fangirl for her). She'll even go as far as giving her opponent a free shot before fighting them, as a display of her Deity's might.

I decided to be smart this time, though, and actually iterate on the design BEFORE I started the modeling process. This is me learning from 9 years of redoing model after model due to design after design.

Here's the concept process, from late January all the way to last week or so:

Started off with a random idea based on some designs from Bravely Default and such:

Iterated a week or so later with some ideas I had to make the design more consistent:

An iteration with altered proportions better for sprites. At this point, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the shoulders/shawl area works:

Had an idea and gave her a full surcoat with a front-flap, and a big 80's hair foof- an attempt to bring back the heroic confidence of the first one after a friend said she was starting to look a bit villainous:

Said friend later mentioned that the headdress didn't really fit with the rest of the design, so I did some concepts.

I eventually settled on a combination of 2 and 5, since I really liked the segmented spikey bits.

This is also where I tried out a bit more simplification with super stylized eyes:

This was just a rough action sketch I fleshed out- I ended up really liking the bold outlines and general presentation, so I settled on that idea for the art style:

As you can see in the final render, I eventually abandoned the stylized eyes in favor of the old ones, as they better fit the character's personality.

I then began the modeling process after drawing up some orthographic layers:

I decided to use an interesting method I saw on Twitter that used a base of side-view silhouette meshes:

It turned out pretty well:

The modeling, itself is completed

I add the secret ingredient: Vertex colors and hand-drawn lines:

And then I adjust the eyes and compete the rigging process:

And the final result is as you've seen:

Replies