Home Marmoset

Can see my low poly in final bake, when baking inside of Marmoset.

Hi. I'm new to Marmoset as well as baking as a whole. In one of my recent projects I've been working on, In my final bake I can see my low poly on my final bake. (As shown in the picture) Not sure how to go around this. I can provide any other information if needed I'm just stumped on what to do.  

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you bake the normal map at a higher resolution, you should see this problem lessen. If this is not for a game, but for your portfolio or some other purpose where the texture resolution isn't important, this is the easy fix.

The essential problem is that the normal map corrects for the vertex normals of the low poly mesh, this works pretty well but to be perfectly accurate you need enough resolution to represent the normal data. What you end up with is these resolution based artifacts, especially if you zoom in very far. If this is an asset that will be viewed this close, I would suggest increasing the texture resolution, or considering changing the UV layout to make more efficient use of the space if that isn't an option, such as mirroring elements where you can.

You may be able to make use of hard edges along UV borders so that the normal map doesn't have to do so much of the heavy lifting. This is explained briefly in the Best Results section of our baking tutorial, see the Hard Edges & UVs section specifically: https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/?page=Best Results#bestresults
  • greheheheh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help. I increased the resolution of the bake and it looks much better. I'm using this for a skin in a game and it doesn't need to be that zoomed in I just wanted to know what was wrong with it.  :)