Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Joao Rosa

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DyingAge polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone, honestly it has been years since my last post in this website, mainly because due to certain events in my life I had completely given up art in general. However, the past few months I have found again my will to chase my dreams of being able to live and work as a character modeler so I have been trying to catch up like crazy on the new workflows and technologies.

I think I am actually getting up to speed in most of the things now, but of course as in everything in life, we are always learning and things are always evolving, that's what makes it fun I suppose right? :smile:

If anyone reading this has any critiques or advice they would like to give towards my artwork I greatly appreciate it. You may also check out my Artstation and Facebook Page if you'd like, the links are on my signature ;)

So the first couple months I studied through a subscription on Pluralsight, where I learned more about workflows, namely the ZBrush Highpoly sculpt to another 3D application (Maya, Blender, etc) for Retopology and UVs. I spent quite a while playing around in ZBrush and after I overcame the overwhelming UI, I fell in love with it! So I kept practicing and learning from Pixologic Streams and VODs, and after a few months this was my first original character sculpt (not my first sculpt, there were a lot of blobby messes in the beginning of course xD but this was the first time I felt like I was reaping the rewards of my efforts).

The sculpt, polypaint and render were done in ZBrush, the compositing (or how much little there is of it) was done in ClipStudio Paint.

I was really thrilled with my results, true they are not much impressive but they were results! I hope these posts inspire people who see it (if anyone does see it) to work hard towards their goals as well, with effort and time, slowly but surely results will appear :)

Yep...

=============================================

Surely I was feeling inspired, so I kept practicing, then for my next character, I went a bit more crazy and came up with this guy:

I was having lots of fun playing with the shapes of his face and beard, I was trying to give him a feel of creepy, composed, yet villanous person.

Sculpted, Painted and Rendered in ZBrush, Retopo in Blender and Compositing in ClipStudio Paint.

................................................................................

And yeah...

There's always that path to cross...

I want to take this oportunity to give credit to FunkyBunnies http://www.funkybunnies3d.com/ for the amazing hair brush and sharing amazing tools with everyone, huge thanks mate :D

The hair that you see in the early screens was made with this brush, the final hair was edited after as needed and kept most of it, but when I felt that I needed to get down and dirty with the beard I decided to sculpt it instead of relying on it. As you can see though, this hair brush actually sped up a lot my hair work and allowed me to run quick tests when I was not sure about his facial hair. I advise against using it for every work you do though, there's always that uniqueness when you sculpt it yourself, this is good for speeding up and testing as well, or hell just be creative with it it's a tool xD

The final result is presented :)

=====================================================

And finally, for my most recent work, and also quite proud of it:

This one was quite a trip, with lots of testing and trials on it, by the time I was finished, stepped back and looked, I found myself with a smile on my face, "damn she came out pretty cool..." XD

For this one I decided not to use the FunkyBunnies hair brush. I've created one for the curly ponytail and did a lot more tests with brushes, nanomesh for the fishnet, etc. Which will always come in handy in future sculpts!
I wanted to put to test what I had learned so far and pushed my limits with this character, I believe the results were very rewarding :)

The next step for this character will be retopology and getting to know texture painting in Substance Painter. By the end of the run, I want to have her ready as a game character model.

The staffs where modeled based on the following pictures (whose artists I don't know the name of saddly, if you do please let me know so I can properly credit them).

1 -https://www.pinterest.pt/pin/510243832767804269/ (minigob from granblue fantasy it seems)
2 - https://www.pinterest.pt/pin/530369293593000551/ (unknown)

I did a few tweaks from the original concept as I felt that they would better fit my character's concept.

More updates in the future, once I complete the retopology of her. If someone's reading this, I hope it was somehow positive for you and if you would like to critique or advise me, again I welcome it, I want to learn more and become a better character modeler. Also if there's questions you would like to ask, if I can answer them I will to the best of my abilities.

Until next time! Take care ;)

Replies

• DyingAge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retopo is done, UVs are ready. It's time for bakes and textures :smile:

• DyingAge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to redo all the textures in Substance Painter like I mentioned before, in order to learn more about it. It's actually a very impressive software, so many ways you can go about texturing with this! Here's a WIP of how it's going currently

there's still quite a bit to do though...
  • DyingAge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally done with this character. Rendered in Marmoset at the end.<span class="post-color-gray"></span>
    <span class="post-color-gray"></span><span class="post-color-gray"><a rel="nofollow" href="http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWjhWO-HohI&fbclid=IwAR0kM9Ewq4NZ0XcyddCIJlTRucd6mwxz2ms0140eeXSRHtJPtRvwNDCIDo8"><span class="post-color-green"></span></a></span>

Snapshots from Marmoset:

There is a Show Reel video of this character at my Artstation page, you can check it out in my Signature at the bottom of this commentary if you would like.

I've learned a lot through the production of this character. Time to go for the next one!

As always your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Talk soon ;)

• DyingAge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This time I took Sebastian Ñanco's "Little boy" Concept and modeled a Pixar-ish 3D rendition of his drawing. I got quite a bit experimental with it and I feel that I've learned a lot! Thanks Sebastian for giving me permission to use your concept ;)