Home Marmoset

Emissive and refraction interaction

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Goat polycounter lvl 2
Was just wondering if emissive materials work through transparency with refraction? Doesn't seem to be working in my render, cheers. 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emissive materials should work through refractive materials. Is there a specific problem you're having?

Generally speaking, it's a good practice to make sure the various meshes in the scene are separate objects when using refraction. If you've got a number of meshes merged into one object, transparency sorting will be unreliable.
  • Goat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat polycounter lvl 2
    Ah then I think I do have an issue with it then, they're both separate objects, I'm trying to get the emissive icons at the back to show through the glass at the front which is just a single plane, transparency seems to be working with everything else but just not the emissives, thanks.

What's strange too is that the emissive's from another object (different material) are showing through in this image

• Goat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat polycounter lvl 2
    The windshield at the back also has refraction turned on and if I disable that then the emissives show through, is there anyway for this to work then? Cheers

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yes, that may be the problem, there are some limitations with how refraction works when rendering multiple refraction objects through each other. I'll look into that here.

As a work around you could create a duplicate of the windshield mesh, move it slightly in front, and set up the material so that only the emissive element is visible (be sure to and turn off emissive on the other material). Essentially, you can create a decal mesh for the emissive glow.

Reflectivity: Specular
    Intensity: 0
    Fresnel: 0
    Emissive: (your emissive settings here)
    Transparency: Add, (you may need to enable Include Diffuse)
  • Goat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goat polycounter lvl 2
    Ah that's a shame to hear, I ended up doing just what you said though and it's practically the same :smile: thank you very much!