Home› Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Alexander RG House

ARGHouse
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ARGHouse polycounter lvl 6
Hi, my names Alex, I'm a concept artist, I'm also pushing to improve my 3D modelling skills and timing. I was working on some spaaaaace ships, though I need to get my texturing up to level before I can finish those off. At the moment I'm working on small projects to build up my 3D folio. Currently working on a character model using a topic from Concept Art 'Sci Fi Archer'. Currently working on the archer's weapon, what I have called a 'Gauss Bow'. Trying to keep the design near futuristic and believable. 

As you can see this bow uses a Gauss chamber filled with Neodymium magnets to accelerate the arrow, rollers inside the chamber are used to slot the arrow in place while ensuring the arrow does not jam into the chamber and electrocute the user. Modelling weapons is certainly not challenging for me, since I already have some experience modelling guns. Organics I have never modeled before, so I should learn more when I come up to modelling the archer.

Replies

• ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Modelled in the wires, those internal rollers ended up being replaced with uncharged magnets that hold the arrow in the middle. Probably a few more things to finish off on the bow, though I'll be moving onto modelling the Archer.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Finished clothing the character, now working on the archer's armor and any cybernetic upgrade he might have.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Brushing up on Zbrush again after a while of not touching it, sculpting a skull.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

finished blocking out the exo frame that will help enhance the strength the archer puts into the bow.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Finished texturing the skull sculpt.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Inspired by some concept art that I saw, took a day to model this out.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Finally figured out a Modo > Maya > Zbrush pipeline.
    1. Bake Geometry, copy to new file, save as FBX.
    2. Open in Maya, Export as FBX 2016/2017 file.
    3. Open ZBrush, export through ZPlugin > FBX Export Import. Make sure you delete duplicate subtools before applying materials.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Finished working on a model based on a concept by Artem Mykhailov. Ended up having to apply the decals manually in photoshop on the texture maps after some complications with the Zbrush export. I'm also hoping the 3D workspace gets an expansion in Photoshop at some point, would be handy if you could export multi-mesh FBX files into it.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Took a week to finish working on the 3D assets for this Sci fi corridor scene, at the moment this is just a preview because there are no textures yet. Might see how this goes in Unreal.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message

Brushing up on painting again. A quickie to practice color and lighting.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while and I have let this sketchbook gather dust. What have I been doing since the last post?
    What have I been doing?

Shots from my experimental build, dated to around October last year. The game/universe is called Union, it is a more Utopian space sim, akin to Star Trek being made using the open-source Pioneer Space Sim. To clarify these models in game are low poly and untextured for testing purposes only. Before my next release, I have a lot of work to do, including:
    -cleaning up bugs
    -higher poly textured models
    -some basic in system warp drive implementation
    -importing the latest HYG star catalogue
    -add other the human superpowers, they might have their own ship sets by then.
    next post shall display older and current concept art and modelling WIPs.

• ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay here is part two:

Asteroid Chase
    Enceladus - Wreckage
    International Space Station
    (old art for the ISS, there is a much larger and more futuristic version of this now)
    Alcubierre 5 VN Type Warp ship
    (old concept model for an old first gen warp ship. normals needed fixing).

(concept model for a fighter belonging to one of the human superpowers)

(concept art and higher poly model for the Regir, it needs cleaning up.)

(old art for the Cosmonaut Mk II)

(it became the Mk III but was not really feeling it)

(so I went back to the drawing board, this is now the Cosmonaut Mk III, just a bit larger in internal space than the Cobra III from ED. It will serve the function as a multirole vessel.)

(A quick mock up of an idea I have for the medium sized multirole ship)

(concept art and a higher poly model for the Mole Hauler seen in the above screenshots)

(higher poly model of the Carrak fighter. The amount of polys in the High LOD needs to be reduced for Pioneer, and the topology needs to be fixed.)

(Concept art for the Bullfrog DS, a lowpoly model is in game. It is a bit of an ugly duckling but a reliable one with its amount of internal space.)

(rough wip of what will be a multi role cargo shuttle. It will also be suited toward mining and piracy)

Quick station mock up of what might become the ISS 2.

Preview of what will be a much larger station in high orbit.

(higher poly wip of what will be a starter space van vessel for one of the other superpowers)
    And that's all for now.
  • ARGHouse
    Offline / Send Message
    Cosmonaut III

working on the area around the Cockpit.