Home Unreal Engine

Having problems with custom sky sphere

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
JamesBrisnehan polycounter
Hey everyone,

I am trying to get a nice sunset HDR into Unreal and use it for a sky sphere.

My first attempt was to plug the HDR image into the emissive channel of a an unlit material, but I got hit with an error: "UVW input required for cubemap sample". I looked around for what that means and how to fix it to no avail. 
On my second attempt I followed along to a tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSRsQpRfDlk  and it works well enough and looks good, but there is one major problem. It can't be rotated. The position of the texture seems to be based on the camera position instead of the mesh's position. I want to rotate the skysphere to match the angle of my directional light. I have spent a lot of time on the positioning of the light and all of my buildings to get highlights and shadows where I want them, and I don't want to try to move the whole scene now. And I know that I could pan the image in Photoshop and reload it in UE4 in a trial and error kind of way if I have to, but I feel like turning a sky sphere should not be that hard. I can't figure it out though, and I can't find anything through google searches about it.

If anyone knows what is going on or what I am missing that would be awesome. I can then learn something new about Unreal. If the easiest way to fix it is with Photoshop, so be it.

Replies