Home Career & Education

"The heavy toll of making games in the San Francisco Bay Area"

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-04-30-the-heavy-toll-of-making-games-in-the-san-francisco-bay-area

I used to live and work in SF on games, so this speaks volumes to me.

I left in 2001, when it was already starting to get crazy. But now, whoa.

Met my wife while renting in North Beach in the early 90's. We rented in Pacific Heights for a bit, then North Beach again for a few years. Biking to work was great, down the Embarcadero to South of Market.

Then we bought a house in San Anselmo, and commuted across the Golden Gate bridge for a couple years. 

And we thought it was expensive then, ha!

Curious if any of you are living and working there now. What's the experience like? 

Replies

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    I only visited SF for holidays but like the article says it boggles my mind there is so much talent there and the harsh reality they need to survive in. Some cool devs from Zinga took me for a tour inside the building when I was there and I remember being impressed at such a large facility in salty salty SF.

Working in the US frankly seems scary to me nowadays. When I was a student it was the only thing I wanted for my professional life, but the more I heard about the conditions and people through podcasts or forums, the more I thought working at a dev studio seemed like too silly of a risk to take (not to mention the difficulty of getting a work visa for a junior position).

The US is big of course and SF's costs is just an extreme end of the situation, but with so many overwork-time stories and massive layoffs (specially recently), I tried working more with outsourcers so that at least the company's win/failure doesn't depend on the videogame we're working on's success. Of course we try to aim for our work to contribute to the product's success, or else no one would want to work with us, but it's a small relief from a job-security point of view.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Moved out here in 2014 to start my career in the game industry. Fortunately I've been more or less continuously employed in that entire time. Survived one studio closure at my first gig, and a round of layoffs at my current place.

While I really love what I do, it often feels like its impossible to keep up with the cost of living here. I've been living in Oakland and commuting to the Peninsula the entire time. The commute is soul crushing, but the cost of closer housing, combined with the inherent instability in our industry makes signing a new lease a scary proposition. And although my salary has climbed significantly since starting out, so has the cost of housing. Renting anything larger than a tiny one bedroom apartment, much less owning a home or starting a family seems like an impossibility. This line from the article hit me real hard:

Artists don't demand the same salaries that engineers do," Bagwell says. "I think one of the reasons why it's hard for games to take root here is because half of your team is sort of living at the poverty level -- or at least it feels like they do.

It is somewhat surreal being surrounded by so much wealth, being by all accounts successful in your career, and yet feeling like having a laundry machine is an incredible luxury.

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Very similar experience here.

I moved here with my wife and kids in 2013 and found a house about 30 miles away that we could afford. A long commute then was around 45-50 mins. Now, the average commute time is about 90+ minutes; anything less than that feels like a breeze. 

We've been very fortunate to only have had two rent increases in 5 1/2 years and we are still below average cost for the area. However, it is always looming over your head here. Any yearly raise/cost of living increase has the potential to get eaten up by an increase in rent. 

There are lot of strengths to living in the area but it comes with the possibility of significant financial stress. You really have to have your personal finances locked down and have 6+ months of living expenses in an emergency fund to survive here.

• Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    RyRyB said:
    You really have to have your personal finances locked down and have 6+ months of living expenses in an emergency fund to survive here.
    That right there is gospel. Its good advice for anyone, but especially for those in the Bay Area game industry. The truth is, if it wasn't for the specter of instability, I could relax my savings rate and live much more comfortably. But never being quite sure if you'll have a job in six months, compounded with the the very real possibility that your rent could increase by $400/mo the second your lease is up, makes relaxing my savings seem reckless.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Working in SF was a dream of mine in early 2010/11. But as my life and career have pulled me away from that area, I look at articles and stories from this thread and think "yea, things worked out kind of okay". These days I don't think I'd be looking to work in CA at all. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I still don't get why companies need to be located in pricey areas.
    Like Toronto and Vancouver all share the same fate. 
    And theres a lot of talent but they still hire from abroad for the roles that actually pay enough to live in the cities.
    So...
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    In all honesty, the Bay Area has some great studios which can do wonders for your career if you manage to get some shipped titles on your portfolio. 

That being said, game studios generally underpay in comparison to other industries (tech, visualization, etc.). If you can carve out a good salary in the Bay Area or CA in general, it really is a great place to cut your teeth and grow your career. There's a sickening amount of talent and expertise in CA between film and games and the networking alone can be a huge resource. And if things do go south, you've got a market that can absorb studio closures/layoffs without the local industry cratering all together. 

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    RyRyB said:
    In all honesty, the Bay Area has some great studios which can do wonders for your career if you manage to get some shipped titles on your portfolio. 

That being said, game studios generally underpay in comparison to other industries (tech, visualization, etc.). If you can carve out a good salary in the Bay Area or CA in general, it really is a great place to cut your teeth and grow your career. There's a sickening amount of talent and expertise in CA between film and games and the networking alone can be a huge resource. And if things do go south, you've got a market that can absorb studio closures/layoffs without the local industry cratering all together. 

I think for the larger studios, the costs offset the benefits so long as they have ongoing projects. 

Really depends on the role, and your own cost of living. Not to say every game dev needs to live in a bootstrapped way, but I do find that atleast in northamerica what constitutes decent living is pretty different from other places.

Toronto's issue is housing surplus which it lacks, the worst transportation network in north america for major cities and 1 major AAA studio catering to 10 game dev schools. (there's 2 more but they don't seem to advertise a lot)

I guess with san francisco its a similar situation in some respects.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    NikhilR said:
    I still don't get why companies need to be located in pricey areas.
    Like Toronto and Vancouver all share the same fate. 
    And theres a lot of talent but they still hire from abroad for the roles that actually pay enough to live in the cities.
    So...
    Talent pools and status symbols. The areas are pricey because they are popular destinations, which attracts talent, which makes companies want to open up shop there, which brings in more people, which jacks prices up even further. It's a horrible cycle.

It is a clear reason why you can compare the number of gaming companies in the Bay Area to that of say Bismark, North Dakota. Yet if big companies flooded into Bismark because of the lower cost, within a few years no one will be able to afford to live there. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Well that's what makes me wonder about Montreal, which has more companies than Toronto and about the same as Vancouver and way lower housing cost.

The only offside being having a knowledge of french which may or may not be necessary depending on the circumstances.

This is attributed to its housing surplus and better zoning of the city. It almost as if they prepared for a large population that would remain within city limits. 

Toronto Doesn't have enough housing blocks (rental housing), since most people seem to aspire to single family homes and are just greedy in general. (its the financial capital of canada)

Like the expected markup on a home sale is crazy, people want a million for a semi detached they bought in the 90's for about 100,000.

Weirdly that doesn't seem to be the attitude in Montreal where there's a day where everybody suddenly decides they want to live elsewhere and move.

My housing block is part of around 10 structures with 15, 2 bedroom units for around 1100$, and there are so many vacant units for less than half what you pay in toronto for something half the size. (in toronto a 2 bedroom half the size is almost 3500$ in rent monthly.
    The only reason companies stay in these cities comes down to subsidies, grants and tax credits to offset the cost of their rents. But there is considerable bias on how this is given out.

Many companies can certainly do more to offset the cost of living closer to the studio given their revenue I feel. It only benefits them in the end.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If you are trying to do what everybody else is doing, it's a shark feeding frenzy. To get your dinner in that jumble, you got to be good. The more sharks there is, the better you got to be, and as time goes on, there's less to go around and higher competition to get it.

If you want to live well on a modest salary, do what other people are not doing. Find a niche and work it. This way isn't necessarily any easier or harder, just requires different mindset, perhaps different goals.

My advice : live in a place where you can easily save money, purchase property, and grow your wealth without having to fight tooth and nail. Wife and I earn about 70k a year combined and we have two houses, two plots of land, 4 cars, 4 dogs, and we eat good food everyday. Plus we consistently save each month. And I haven't worked full time in 3 years. This puts me in much better position to take risk if I needed to. Allows me to grind on portfolio basically as long as I need. No way in hell I'd move to an expensive city if the job salary or other benefits did not make the risk/reward clearly in my favor.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    If you are trying to do what everybody else is doing, it's a shark feeding frenzy. To get your dinner in that jumble, you got to be good. The more sharks there is, the better you got to be, and as time goes on, there's less to go around and higher competition to get it.

If you want to live well on a modest salary, do what other people are not doing. Find a niche and work it. This way isn't necessarily any easier or harder, just requires different mindset, perhaps different goals.

My advice : live in a place where you can easily save money, purchase property, and grow your wealth without having to fight tooth and nail. Wife and I earn about 70k a year combined and we have two houses, two plots of land, 4 cars, 4 dogs, and we eat good food everyday. Plus we consistently save each month. And I haven't worked full time in 3 years. This puts me in much better position to take risk if I needed to. Allows me to grind on portfolio basically as long as I need. No way in hell I'd move to an expensive city if the job salary or other benefits did not make the risk/reward clearly in my favor.
    Is that in Alaska? And that is a good idea when you're not working, but eventually you might have to relocate to be closer to the workplace.

The problem is not being able to afford to live there even while being paid and having to sacrifice a good deal because of that. Like in this case its not about the portfolio any more. They've done that and now they have the work they want, they're just finding that it doesn't satisfy them financially (mind you in many cases, a lot of artists don't negotiate, so its not all on the company)

In many cases the wages really do need to go up to offset the living cost. Like I have friends in Toronto  they complain constantly about how difficult it is to get by given their cost of living. Mind you this is an extreme case since the city has serious problems that aren't going to be solved anytime soon.

They are happy they have the opportunity to work for AAA, but clearly not with the compensation which is reflected prominently all over glass door. (though oddly that is also the case in many 5 star reviews for some reason)

Of course they are welcome to leave for a better wage, so there's always that option going forward but honestly as artists and creators sky's the limit to how you can get the lifestyle you want. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yes we are living in Alaska. Which you might think is cheap, but it's not. Cost of living here is one of the highest in the country, though it's not San Fransisco. As far as relocating goes, just remember that you are in control. Where there is a will, there's a way. If you are smart enough to make 3d art, you can find a way to make a living anywhere. Just a matter of what of how willing to compromise you are.

Main issue a lot of young people face is they have a vision of how things should be, and they don't know how to adapt when the way things are is different. And they don't realize that they are the ones with the power.

You can't only see things from your perspective. If everybodies wage goes up, something somewhere else has to give. Of course we can probably point out some executives are making more money than anybody could ever deserve, and of course people owning property just as an investment is probably an evil thing that is well beyond the scope of the entertainment industry. If you are dead set on changing these issues, their are ways to do so. Probably won't happen in a generation.

At the end of the day, you have to know what your goals are, and then read the weather to determine how to achieve them. Identifying the problem is one thing, but the real question is, "what can I do to overcome the issues and meet my goal?"

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Yup, it really does come down to the artist. I graduated with a whole bunch of people and if we were all working to improve ourselves in the same capacity atleast on the portfolio side we would have reached the same bar. But that clearly didn't happen. In fact less than half the class graduated the program and what was expected of the was very doable.

I think onilne courses like CGMA face the same issues. 

Still can't quite say everyone who has would get a job all the same, and many artists I know were hired for a lot of other reasons that are quire controversial, but reaching that bar in the quality of ones work is something every artist should do for themselves.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Two things not to do:

Put all your hopes in one basket, and pre-rationalize failure.

Go to university, grind on portfolio, move to hub city is one path to reach a goal. It's the direct, obvious path. But if it aint working out, it doesn't mean you've failed. Just got to try another way, or adjust the goal. Good thing is you spend time reading threads like this and others you might realize the dream jobs aren't as dreamy as you thought without having to learn it the hard way.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Don't get me started on San Francisco, Toronto or Vancouver.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alright, don't get started.

That's settled. :)
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    NikhilR said:
    Well that's what makes me wonder about Montreal, which has more companies than Toronto and about the same as Vancouver and way lower housing cost.

The only offside being having a knowledge of french which may or may not be necessary depending on the circumstances.

This is attributed to its housing surplus and better zoning of the city. It almost as if they prepared for a large population that would remain within city limits. 

Toronto Doesn't have enough housing blocks (rental housing), since most people seem to aspire to single family homes and are just greedy in general. (its the financial capital of canada)

Like the expected markup on a home sale is crazy, people want a million for a semi detached they bought in the 90's for about 100,000.

Weirdly that doesn't seem to be the attitude in Montreal where there's a day where everybody suddenly decides they want to live elsewhere and move.

My housing block is part of around 10 structures with 15, 2 bedroom units for around 1100$, and there are so many vacant units for less than half what you pay in toronto for something half the size. (in toronto a 2 bedroom half the size is almost 3500$ in rent monthly.
    The only reason companies stay in these cities comes down to subsidies, grants and tax credits to offset the cost of their rents. But there is considerable bias on how this is given out.

Many companies can certainly do more to offset the cost of living closer to the studio given their revenue I feel. It only benefits them in the end.
    Montreal is a gold spot right now for game devs oppurtunity and good living conditions.

You can easily find 2 bedrooms appt. for 700-800$ within reasonable distances from downtown.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Blond said:
    NikhilR said:

Montreal is a gold spot right now for game devs oppurtunity and good living conditions.

You can easily find 2 bedrooms appt. for 700-800$ within reasonable distances from downtown.

Housing prices too, if you're into ownership.
    The french language requirement might become an issue for some devs attempting to get into the industry here though.
    Still easier to learn french than hope for San Francisco, Vancouver or Montreal housing markets to become more affordable.

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Blond said:

Unfortunately Montreal doesn't pay nearly as well as most other locations. Especially for game artists. 
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond said:

Unfortunately Montreal doesn't pay nearly as well as most other locations. Especially for game artists. 
    True, but does that still translate into a better life? After I was laid off in 2009 and had to move from Southern California back to Indiana, I was able to live almost as well in Indiana as I did in Southern California even after taking an almost $40,000 pay cut as I worked odd jobs to pay for continuing education to better my skills during the economic downturn.

You can make $125k in San Francisco but live like you make $35k. You can make $60k in other places but live like you make $100k.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    ^ This.

You can't use salary as the sole indicator of how well off you will be in any given location. As an example, a single person making less than ~$73k/year in SF can apply for low-income housing assistance (https://homeguides.sfgate.com/need-qualify-low-income-housing-1902.html) for rental properties. Add a family to that and you will really start to feel the financial pressure.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Blond said:

True, but does that still translate into a better life? After I was laid off in 2009 and had to move from Southern California back to Indiana, I was able to live almost as well in Indiana as I did in Southern California even after taking an almost $40,000 pay cut as I worked odd jobs to pay for continuing education to better my skills during the economic downturn.

You can make $125k in San Francisco but live like you make $35k. You can make $60k in other places but live like you make $100k.
       If you're in the USA, there are places within the USA that could offer what Montreal does by comparison, and you'd still be making more (in USD)

Montreal is the better option between Vancouver and Toronto, given the cost of living in those cities. Some companies have multiple hubs between the 3 cities so routinely shift employees about.

Of course if you do manage to make a good amount you could certainly live in vancouver/toronto. (you may have to sacrifice a fair bit though)

Its just really difficult to justify paying 3500$ monthly in rent when you compare to the 1000$ in Montreal for a larger apartment.

i think over time its really important to assess the value of being in such expensive cities and how it translates to the well being of employees and their families.

Like in Toronto, a lot of the employee costs are paid by the government (about 350,000$ per new employee), but the companies decide how much of that goes to the employee. (definitely not that much at one go lol)
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I think you've got the cause-effect backwards though. The city is not expensive for no reason. It's expensive because too many people live there. If major companies move to bumfuck Idaho, population grows and and once it hits a certain point it just keeps growing exponentially.

Here in Anchorage, prices are not so high because it's a desireable place to live. Just happens that Anchorage is locked between the ocean and mountains, so there is nowhere to expand. People who own property then can charge higher. It's evil in the sense that one human is making life harder for another for the sole benefit of their greed, but that is how it works. Nobody wants to do anybody else a favor -- everyone is a bloodsucking parasite. Eating good food and having house and car is not enough, always got to squeeze more more more.

I don't think companies paying higher wage solves any problem, it will only exacerbate. Real issue is people owning property but not living on it. Land barons, essentially. Last I heard Vancouver government was actually enacting some legislation to work against the fact that so many Chinese citizens own properties that are vacant and driving up cost for people who actually live there.

In any case, I think there is probably a reason large corporate companies seek out talented young college kids. They don't want somebody like me who's harder to fool or exploit. I'm sure some companies have a genuine and wholesome interest in developing new talent and building loyalty, but from the news I read about game industry in general it doesn't seem that way. People got to realize that big companies don't become and stay successful by doing the right thing, they survive by being ruthless. Don't let the friendly presentation fool you. Everyone at some studio may genuinely be a real nice person and make you feel like family, but they will drop your ass real quick when leaders fuck shit up.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
      There are companies that are genuine and don't survive on exploiting their workers.

Fact is that a lot of how artists choose companies does come down to what games they play. So they're likely to believe the company has their best interests in mind when they join.

That said if you do offer a company something of value, they will likely pay a fair wage since your skills are important to them. Really depends where you fit in the crowd and how much value they see in you. 

Tech/IT companies make comparable revenue but have better benefits even though their workers aren't all unionised. That makes me wonder why the disparity exists if anyone has an answer to this.

As artists I've always believed that there is no limit to artistic expression and gaining a following for your brand. So that's something to definitely work towards.

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    NikhilR said:
    <snip>
      Tech/IT companies make comparable revenue but have better benefits even though their workers aren't all unionised. That makes me wonder why the disparity exists if anyone has an answer to this.
    <snip>

Could be a couple of reasons:
    - There are tons of potential employees trying to get into a limited number of positions. New employees are willing to work for a lower wage to get their feet into the industry.
    - When potential employees are constantly being told that it's a super competitive industry, they are less willing to negotiate a higher compensation and/or benefits. They take the first offer and accept it.
    - It's a young industry still and finding it's feet in regards to workplace maturity. This includes hiring practices, compensation amounts and types (non-wage/salary compensation), and production practices. 

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not a young industry though. I worked in games as an artist for 25 years. And it wasn't a new industry when I joined either. Your first two points are spot-on.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it is a young industry still in how it sees itself. Look at what is going on at Riot right now. The industry is maturing a bit to leave the frat house office lifestyle behind. The very fact that a COO is still employed after stories of him farting in employees faces shows that the industry is a young immature one. The industry is starting to understand that they need a more diverse development team to create games that don't just appeal to a certain demographic, ie the costume redesigns in MK11 for the females. The perks of free food, gyms, laundry service, etc are great but they are also starting to be seen as the reason why they are there is to keep the employee in the office as long as possible. Many employees are finally starting to see the need to have a clear separation between home and work life. Sure breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the office sounds great. Until you see that A- you'd rather have that money in your paycheck and B- you'd rather eat 1 or 2 of those meals with your family on a daily basis.

Granted, that is a very broad stroke to apply to the industry as a whole. Yet I am sure there are a few other companies that fall under this brush.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think it is a young industry still in how it sees itself. Look at what is going on at Riot right now. The industry is maturing a bit to leave the frat house office lifestyle behind. The very fact that a COO is still employed after stories of him farting in employees faces shows that the industry is a young immature one. The industry is starting to understand that they need a more diverse development team to create games that don't just appeal to a certain demographic, ie the costume redesigns in MK11 for the females. The perks of free food, gyms, laundry service, etc are great but they are also starting to be seen as the reason why they are there is to keep the employee in the office as long as possible. Many employees are finally starting to see the need to have a clear separation between home and work life. Sure breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the office sounds great. Until you see that A- you'd rather have that money in your paycheck and B- you'd rather eat 1 or 2 of those meals with your family on a daily basis.

Granted, that is a very broad stroke to apply to the industry as a whole. Yet I am sure there are a few other companies that fall under this brush.
    I think the riot situation seems unique to the company for its extremes, not to say it doesn't happen elsewhere, just hasn't been publicised as much. 
     The one thing that distinguishes the game industry from the rest of tech seems to be the fact that it is also a part of the entertainment industry, think film/television, so comes with all that baggage.
     So that's probably why despite not really being young, it has these problems surface from time to time. It also has a high turnover (like film) which also accounts for the disparity, though I think that's more the case in the western game dev scene where you don't have the concept of lifetime employee, and of course a vast pool of eager newer talent.

On the ground, most employees (from what I've seen) just want to do their job and go home. And its only natural that a game company attracts gamers who are likely in it of the bragging rights and nothing more, well atleast until they figure out what else they want.

Also about diversity, I think that also depends on the role/ responsibility involved. 

Like for a 3D prop artist making barrels off a concept and going home, would the gender/race of the employee making them matter? Like you're going to get a barrel regardless of who makes them. Well hopefully they are up to the task of making them.

It looks great in promotional media given the current trends, but unless they really leverage the diversity, i.e having distinct backgrounds and experiences rather than just the surface and have more of this  in decision making areas, the whole prospect of having diversity doesn't really have the impact it should.

It sure doesn't look like riot was hiring people with diversity for diversity's sake in mind, I mean as far as the women in the complaint its pretty obvious what some key people in the management had in mind when they hired them.
    Disgusting really.
    There needs to be proper protocol on what is acceptable in any workplace, and it needs to apply to all levels equally.

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    It's not a young industry though. I worked in games as an artist for 25 years. And it wasn't a new industry when I joined either. Your first two points are spot-on.
    Fair point! Yes, the industry has been around for awhile now but that doesn't mean certain areas (which I noted above) within the industry are mature.

- Hiring practices are still modeled after a churn and burn mentality (ramp up, layoff, ramp up, layoff, rinse and repeat). The blatant taking advantage of new hires just leads to burn out and does not reinvest the cumulative experience gained from one project into the next.
    - Compensation amounts and options for non-executive positions are woefully underwhelming, especially in regards to artists. Sign on/yearly bonuses, stock options/RSUs, maternal/paternal leave, transportation stipends and other non-monetary compensation tend to fall behind other industries. 
    - Production pipeline/workflows are changing fast but the scheduling, external development practices, and general rush-it-out the door mentality is outdated. I will agree that this area of development is changing pretty quickly (yay!).

Perhaps I'm being too harsh on the industry. I loved working in the industry and I could see myself working in it again.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All those arguments just point to supply and demand. Nothing will change as long the entry level accepts the status quo. 
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    It appears as though these game workplaces need to adapt more a conservative approach, no more leisure; with laundry machines for example among other things.  

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Start whipping people, right? Kids got no work ethic these days.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not about perks, nor effort. It's about ease of exploitation. As long as there's a line of eager cannon fodder, there will be blood for spilling. 

It's shit, but that's the reason this has continued, and will continue. 
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    It's not about perks, nor effort. It's about ease of exploitation. As long as there's a line of eager cannon fodder, there will be blood for spilling. 

It's shit, but that's the reason this has continued, and will continue. 
    Yup, pretty much this unfortunately. I'd love to believe that studios will step up and actually offer perks of substance (ping pong tables don't count) but it really is up to the individual developers to ask for these things from the onset.

- Ask for a sign on bonus.
    - Ask for 2-3 work-from-home days per month.
    - Ask for a monthly transportation stipend.
    - Ask for RSU/stock options.
    - Ask for a flex-schedule.

All of these things I didn't know were a thing until much later in my career and, in some cases, not until I got out of the industry.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Any way to educate so that we don't all have to race to the bottom? Is it feasible to start a company and advertise to potential employees a culture of respect and dignity and point out specifically what kind of exploitative practices others are using? Would anybody listen? Could you actually run a profitable business that way?
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Any way to educate so that we don't all have to race to the bottom? Is it feasible to start a company and advertise to potential employees a culture of respect and dignity and point out specifically what kind of exploitative practices others are using? Would anybody listen? Could you actually run a profitable business that way?
       The fact is that in the game dev program I graduated from we were told to expect this, and despite all of that and being told to negotiate, very few if any even tried. I've had so many graduates fight with me on this point, saying that its better to take what's available since atleast its something. 

Like fair enough if you do genuinely see a perceivable advantage, like maybe you're building a startup strapped for funds then sure. 

But if you're being paid way lower than the expected wage required to sustain yourself in an expensive city and the government is providing the company substantial incentives towards operational cost and at times directly to employee wages, you should very well receive a fair amount. 

This also improves employee retention, of course if that isn't the goal then it probably didn't matter to begin with.

I think in the end it really comes down to the artist and creating a brand and audience and work to become someone worth investing in. I mean it shouldn't have to come to this but then you can end any exploitative practices for yourself at least.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah that is why I try to recommend that people get their finances settled first before beginning their artist journey, this way you have the power and can find the perfect team for yourself, rather than having to to demean yourself by working for bloodsuckers. I hear about a lot of people leaving the industry because of terrible working condiitons, and the games coming out recently definitely reflect that. People got to realize, you hold leadership accountable. Leadership is a service -- not a dictatorship. You have to train people how to treat you. Everybody is responsible for the team. If majority of people want to act like cattle, they can't complain when we all live in a manure field.

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB said:

- Hiring practices are still modeled after a churn and burn mentality (ramp up, layoff, ramp up, layoff, rinse and repeat). The blatant taking advantage of new hires just leads to burn out and does not reinvest the cumulative experience gained from one project into the next.
    Project-based hiring of apprentices is common in a lot of industries.  If there isn't another project ready to start then they can't keep you around.  

You can always create your own projects if nothing is available.  Too often we are passive and wait for other people to make things happen.  Look at the indies who get tens of thousands of dollars with some artwork they banged out in a day and a vague outline of a game on Kickstarter.  We grossly undervalue our work because we are risk averse.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    One thing I learned today is that some companies have employees sign agreements that do not allow the employee to speak ill of the company.

I would highly recommend everybody seeking a job to ask if they will have ot sign an agreement like this, and if the answer is yes then your next question is, "well what the fuck are you trying to hide?"

That's not somebody you want to work for.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    That's the case at many companies, not just games. The real agreement is that if you don't talk shit on them then they won't talk shit on you come reference time.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    That's the case at many companies, not just games. The real agreement is that if you don't talk shit on them then they won't talk shit on you come reference time.
       it may be an unwritten aggreement but rarely on paper. I doubt thats legal in many countries.
       If there is a greivance its possible to seek redressal within the company, else there is the labor board that can be approached.
      I know riot has an arbitration clause that prevents lawsuits from going to court but that would not be possible in the eu for instance.
      Some regulation is certainly necessary to prevent abuse by employers.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    And the case is that many companies exploit workers. It's a major problem. I'm kind of on a rant about this right now because I started looking into it, and I can tell you it looks exactly like the same stupid reasons I left the army. Fucktard, spineless, weak-ass coward leaders who are afraid of their own fucking shadow -- the kind of twisted fucks who abuse puppies -- taking advantage of earnest young people who have a naive trust in their fellow man.

An agreement that says, "we won't talk shit on you if you don't talk shit on us" if a major red flag. The question should be, "why are you expecting any shittake? Do you think I'm a shit talker? Well don't hire me then." Don't excuse this type of crap for anything less than it is -- a setup so that they can abuse the hell out of you and get away with it. Even if you leave the company on happy terms, that is what an NDA like this is for.

Just put yourself in the bosses position. Would you ever think to enact something like this? No, because you would do your best to treat people right and in the case that you have a bad breakup, you would exercise the basic professionalism to bury the hatchet quietly ensuring everybody can still maintain a mutual respect even if they aren't friends. There is zero need for a legal document that is essentially a threat to be sued if you spill the beans on the fact that the company is led by assholes.

If you come to my house I don't make you sign an agreement that says if you kick my dog I get to take your house and all your money. Because we are both adults and we have zero reason to expect anything ridiculous like that is going to happen. The only case that I would make you sign such an agreement is if I knew my dogs were fucking hellhounds and they were gonna viciously attack you, right?

Look, I get it. You grind really hard, you have a dream, you certainly don't want to believe that your dream might be compromised by the fact that a lot of the big companies you dream about working for are atrociously bad pplaces to work. But it's the truth. If there is one bad apple in the bunch, an intelligent person makes goddamn certain they aren't gonna eat the bad apple, right?

Be careful out there, and always look after number one. It's fucking war and nobody else is gonna look after you.

• Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    Yeah none of that is new to me. I have a relative who has been in game dev for about 20 years and it's all the same stories across any corporate field, really. I even had to agree to a clause like that to work in a warehouse. I'm sorry that you're just starting to hear how crappy it can be at times and I hope you fall into a company that holds your values.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Well this kind of stuff persist because people keep signing shitty agreements like this. It may be commonplace but it is not normal. This is not how humans interact with eachother. It's how a manipulative creep controls people. There is zero mutual respect.

People have to speak up and warn others. How can you tell tell excited young college kids what they need to do to work at Blizzard full well knowing all the controversy surrounding companies like that?

Is the controversy unfounded? Just a few whiny-ass kids complaining about a tough boss? It doesn't seem that way when you see so many accounts of people talking about 100 hour work weeks and months of failure-of-leadership crap like this. I make some assumption that there is truth in it because I know how people are. The kind of punks who speak a lot about tough-guy-ism's are always the wimps who gas-out first and turn tail when the shit hits the fan. That's why they are so loud, because they're weak and they know it.

I think the issue goes well above middle management. The guy forcing the crunch is only doing so because the disconnected creeps way up top are pushing unrealistically scoped projects, but the solution comes from the bottom. Stop feeding the trolls, so to speak. Speak up about it. Care about the children! Saying "well thats just how it is" is the exact same principle as the Nazi's who said, "wel lI was just obeying orders." Stop it. Don't obey the orders. Be a leader by giving a shit and putting an end to the bullshit.

Best way to start is by getting financially secure from outside the exploitative industry. This way you don't get into a desperate situation where you have to take any job. You may think just taking any job to get the foot in the door will serve you in the long run, but when you enable a lousy boss or a lousy company to keep being lousy, you are screwing over your grandchildren, so to speak.

The culture of selfishness has to end. If there is not a strong example of a good leader within sight, you need to set the example.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    One thing I keep seeing in GDC talks and similar things is these CEO's wrapped up in controversy doing everything but owning their fuck-ups. This is extremely unprofessional and  a terrible example of how to run a business. I doubt it's any coincidence that these are the same companies losing billions and drawing scrutiny from various governments for their business practices...

If you are in middle management and your seniors are pushing a scope that you know will force crunch on your subordinates, you need to have a fucking spine and put the team above your career. If you cannot do that you don't deserve to be in charge nor the respect that comes with the title. So if you are gonna get fired because you won't comply with crunch culture, make a big fucking scene. Let everybody know what is going on and that it's unacceptable and the fault is entirely on the poor planning of the higher-ups. You may not see returns on that any time soon but you will have sewed a seed and set an example for others to follow.  I am all for giving benefit of the doubt but if you are working at a place that requires an NDA to not talk shit on the chance they are assholes -- they are assholes. THey know they are assholes. They don't need any benefit of the doubt. 

If there is not an emergency that is threatening somebodies life or limbs there is zero reason for anybody anywhere to be working more than 40 hours in a week. It is a failure of leadership -- zero excuses.

There has to be some notion of sacrifice for a higher-good -- without that you are absolutely complicit and shame on you. Especially if you are in a position with people beneath you.