Home Unity

UV Charting Stretched / Weird

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi all, 

Been encountering weird issue in Unity during light bakes as you can see from images below. 
Note this is showing in UV Charts of Unity and not the texture uv or lightmap uv.

*There is no overlapping in lightmap UV, no inverted islands or out of 0-1 space. 

*Randomly happens on surfaces with rounded edges ( low / mid poly meshes with quad chamfer type edge smoothness)

*Exporting multiple objects (components of chair in examples below) as prefeb or as individual parts have same results. 

*Only solution is to remake the model again (annoying) 

*In past have used mid poly workflow with smooth edges (different edge curve thickness etc) and it all worked without issues.

*Playing around with object UV Charting Control settings dont do any change to result even if it somehow show squares on UV Chart.  

This issue is really annoying as your TD is perfect squares, your lightmaps is shown as (are) perfect squares yet when Unity computes UV Charts it messes up the whole thing and shows weird lightbake on affected area unless you remodel the whole thing again. 

Unity version 2017.3.1f1
FBX, OBJ format both tried no change in result. (FBX 16-19 versions tried and still same outcome) 

Anyone got any ideas as to what is causing this issue. Thank you

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @HAWK12HT did you find a solution to this? Or maybe this is a different jet interior from the one in your Artstation folio. 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick No luck on this other than remodel the affected mesh. 

Yes this is different interior from AS. That one also had an issue with seats and remodeling them with proper UV layout resolved the issue. 

Also I rechecked the updated Unity manuals and now they have this UV2 (Unity) UV3 (3ds Max) for realtime lightmaps and I did notice something strange with this. I am not using realtime lighting at all however the UV charts are different with and without this UV2, I kinda notice an improvement with Realtime UV2. 
    My guess is Unity 2017 /18 import issue might have been resolved in 2019 (have to check). Time to say goodbye to 3ds max 2016 perhaps and switch to Blender OR I am modelling wrong you know when you use cut tool and it dont let you cut and connect from right to left but from left to right it connects and cut lol. 
    I do re triangulate before export too. 
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is side by side comparison of same surface with slightly less polygons for test, note even though chart are showing as squares but this mesh was fixed via copy of corrupted one (the one with weird charts). Conclusion if you get this chart error on mesh dont duplicate and try to fix that as you may get square charts but result will still mess up.