Home Technical Talk

Animate a car rising through a surface

Hi!

I am going to model the car in the attached photo and make an animation where it rises up from the surface beneath it. First, only the flat surface is visible, then the car starts to emerge from the surface, until it reaches the height in the photo. Modelling the car and animating it’s movement is not a problem - the tricky part is to have the car connected to the surface throughout the animation, with those little chamfers between the car and the ground.

I’m using 3ds Max 2019 and render with Corona.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to solve this?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    A round corner shader should do the trick. 
  • Karax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip! I will try this out tomorrow. Do you think this will work on the sides of the car perpendicular to the camera?
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    yes, camera position wont matter if you do it with a round edge shader. everything will "just work". you could swap in and out any model and using that shader it will all smooth together.

that said, the picture you provided seems to be of plastic vacuum forming which isnt going to look the same as a shader smoothing over the intersections between the base and a regular car model. a random car mesh would have overhangs such as mirrors, wheel wells, etc which vacuum forming can't replicate. to get the same look as the picture i would do one of two approaches:
    • start with a model of a car underneath a densely subdivided plane and project the plane from above so that it conforms to the model. this will be your "formed" model. blend between an unformed and formed with morph targets.
    • render a top-down heightmap of the car, and use this to displace a plane. basically a more baked in version of the above approach, which might be easier to set up and get going, but would not support swapping models out as easily which is nice for iteration.

so if if you're trying to replicate the exact look, id recommend checking out this video to see how forming looks in action
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cacr1WeKOzY

if youre just trying to get a smooth "rising out of the water" look, a round edge shader will do the trick :smile: