Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review & Tips

Hello!

I'm an aspiring concept artist and I'm trying to get a job a game/ film studio, but I'm struggling a lot with it.
So, one of my friends recommend me this place to ask for tips.

The thing is, I feel like I'm stuck with my portfolio and I'm missing something to get the job. As you can see I love to paint keyframes and environments and pretty comfortable working on that. So, my big doubt is, should I keep going getting better with my environments, do more callouts with props, getting into characters and show a more generalist portfolio...?

What are your thoughts?
Feel free to give me feedback on any of my pieces, the way to show them on my website, etc

Thank you!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work!

My opinion, don't have a home page at all, just go direct into the art. 

If you have to have an entry page, then I wish the four images were links to your sections, rather than a static nonclickable image.

If you want work in games, it would help to emphasize the breakdowns you have, where you show a glory image then explain all the elements that go into it, so team members can turn your concepts into 3d assets.
  • Niko_Brush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work!

My opinion, don't have a home page at all, just go direct into the art. 

If you have to have an entry page, then I wish the four images were links to your sections, rather than a static nonclickable image.

If you want work in games, it would help to emphasize the breakdowns you have, where you show a glory image then explain all the elements that go into it, so team members can turn your concepts into 3d assets.
    Thank you Eric. I have changed what you mentioned about the front page, now each image is linked to its own category.
    I've been already thinking about the breakdowns, but I don't know what to do or how to arrange them. For example, as you said, emphasise my best illustrations doing callout sheets. Or starting a new section only with designs and leave the other as keyframe illustration...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your goal is a job doing concepts for game development, then make sure to put relevant & high-quality work right up front.

As Jon Jones says "Put the art in my face ... Imagine that your target visitor is a tired, indifferent hiring manager whose only desire is to find the shortest path possible to looking at your art."

That article is 14 years old. And yet still strikes so true to what it's like trying to filter applicants for a job.