Home Technical Talk

Maya 2018 - Isolate mode limited to edited object?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Axcel polycounter lvl 14
Hi,

I try to model in isolate mode, for convenience ofc, but my struggle appears when due editing geometry, newly created polygons become hidden. Sometimes modified polygons turns to be hidden and I'm thinking geometry got holes. It makes whole isolate mode useless to me.

Can I isolate object, but never isolate faces of that object to prevent them from being hidden?

Cheers,
A

Replies

• gvii
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Use the isolate while in object mode then switch to face mode to edit while within isolate. You can always make use of layers to isolate as well, or the normal hiding/unhiding objects from the outliner.
  • furlerer
    As gvii mentioned, going into isolate mode in Object mode *should* retain the isolation through editing faces, edges, extrusions etc.

I'd recommend getting used to the CTRL + 1 hotkey if you're not already using it. Super fast to quickly isolate/un-isolate, shift click other objects and isolate a selection again etc. This is pretty much how I model in Maya all the time now instead of hiding and un-hiding last and all that.