Home Adobe Substance

How to texturing model in Substance Designer

node
Offline / Send Message
xxwlzfb node
As well as i know,Substance Designer used in tilling texture most case.
But in addition make tilling texture, I want know how to texturing model in Substance Designer.
If i have a .FBX file, like below image:

I want only use Substance Designer to texturing the boat.
Anybody give some advice or tell me what is the workflow.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Bake some maps and use them to generate some textures. 

There are a boatload of tutorials on this starting from when designer 4 came out.

If you have shit UVs it will be more difficult - that looks like a scan so you will probably have shit UVs 
  • xxwlzfb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xxwlzfb node
    poopipe said:
    Bake some maps and use them to generate some textures. 

There are a boatload of tutorials on this starting from when designer 4 came out.

If you have shit UVs it will be more difficult - that looks like a scan so you will probably have shit UVs 
    if i don't have high poly mesh to bake some maps, whether is difficult to texturing?
    and where i can find tutorials? YouTube?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    If it's a photogrammetry scan you should have color texture too from photos. If it's LIDAR scan you still should have some photos probably to project manually in Photoshop.   Anyway both laser and photogrammetry could give you much more hi res model around 200-300 mil polygons for this that could be used as hi res model to bake height/normal map textures.  You should use this model as a retopo base and make a proper low res model over it with decent UV unwrap  first . Then bake height/normal and base color from projected source photos to that UV.

And if it's supposed to be in game model  it probably should be using repeating tilable textures for almost everything which you could  do in SD from the scratch
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Regardless of what you texture this in, 95% of the quality of the texturing will come from the clean separation of materials - either per model chunks, or by texture masking. So instead of wondering about using Substance tools, you should first worry and research how you will create these separations. Cart before the wheels kind of thing.

Unless you just want to do matte-painting style projection painting, but I assume that's not the case.