Home Technical Talk

Where to find this model? (Ash The Porcupine)

Been looking for this model for a long time, no luck, anyone know anywhere to get this model from?

Here's the concept render photo I found, from what the info said, the model was made in ZBrush

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    what are you expecting, that the person who did this model, is here (in a gameforum) giving you the work that is owned by Illumation / Universal?

as its from a movie it will also be pretty hard to rip out, so i am nt exactly sure what your expected outcome of this thread should be
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I know your struggle but luckily I managed to get a hold of it myself recently. Here you go: AshThePorcupine.fbx
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    That's a proprietary model from an animation studio, it's kept under lock and key.
    Even if you did find some way to get it, it wouldn't look like exactly like in that rendered picture anyway, because there's fur and cloth simulations being used (the model would look "simpler", with a cleaner surface, different than in the movie).

EDIT: whenever you see a picture of a movie model as seen in the raw viewport of 3D software, it's more meant as a way to show fans how things work internally, rather than as a way of saying "hey, you can grab this model too".
    It's just a part of making-of material, for enthusiasts, because we can see what software is being used, what kind of control rigs they use when animating etc.
  • DJ_Quill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, but I can see why no one else has made her model, too many damn quills, I can imagine the artist's struggle with that lmao must've been a pain in the ass
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Not really any more of a pain than making hair, arguably it'd be rather easy using splines and generating them that way, you'd never manually place each of those quills...

As others have already said, you won't be able to get a hold of models from films really, plus I don't really think there's much value you can get from getting a hold of a model versus just seeing image breakdowns if you're intending to use it for learning purposes. If you're intending to use it for anything other than to learn then I'd avoid that entirely, also polycount isn't really the place for this, no one reputable would share ripped assets or anything they don't have the rights to share.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    DJ_Quill said:
    Damn, but I can see why no one else has made her model, too many damn quills, I can imagine the artist's struggle with that lmao must've been a pain in the ass
    Modelling that is easy, 

rigging it and setting up the sims would be tedious as fuck. 

Nobody ever spares a thought for the tech artists  :(
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    poopipe said:
    DJ_Quill said:
    Modelling that is easy, 

Stop making it work then you genius you!
  • DJ_Quill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 said:
    Not really any more of a pain than making hair, arguably it'd be rather easy using splines and generating them that way, you'd never manually place each of those quills...

As others have already said, you won't be able to get a hold of models from films really, plus I don't really think there's much value you can get from getting a hold of a model versus just seeing image breakdowns if you're intending to use it for learning purposes. If you're intending to use it for anything other than to learn then I'd avoid that entirely, also polycount isn't really the place for this, no one reputable would share ripped assets or anything they don't have the rights to share.
    Well, my intention with the model, I would add a couple things too it and then pose it so I can use it on an album cover, but I'm still questioning whether or not I can do that, it could be fair use but I don't know..
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    definitely shouldn't do that. even with models that you legally purchase, got to read the terms and condiitions to determine what you can and can't do.
  • DJ_Quill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definitely shouldn't do that. even with models that you legally purchase, got to read the terms and condiitions to determine what you can and can't do.
    What if she was drawn by hand?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    no, only legal if you drew it underwater with your feet.

lol, sorry I don't understand what you are getting at. Just don't steal other peoples work. If you like the character, make something similar but make it your own.
  • DJ_Quill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

lol, sorry I don't understand what you are getting at. Just don't steal other peoples work. If you like the character, make something similar but make it your own.
    Well when I draw her, I am making something similar but not exactly because it's still her but there are several changes, headband, full tracksuit, etc (meaning she looks like a mega chav lmfao) I still come to think that falls under fair use but I'm not exactly sure.
  • Taylor Brown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    I'm so confused about what you are hoping to find here in this forum.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    The character would still be copyrighted, even if you made those changes. It's like drawing a Disney character, but changing the clothes, and using it as an album cover. The owner of the character still has rights to come after you. Honestly, I'd take some time looking around ArtStation, find an artist which creates art you're looking for, and contract them to create a brand new character & image for you.
  • Yerus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yerus polycounter lvl 4
    Axi5 said:
    poopipe said:
    DJ_Quill said:
    Modelling that is easy, 

Actually poopipe's got the point, tech artists do a status quo job, nobody cares about them really, only when they're lacking. They should be much more appreciated.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    OP! it's a no brainer the asset is protected IP with all that entails so proceed at your own risk...oh and prepare too lawyer up if you do.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Yerus said:
    Axi5 said:
    poopipe said:
    DJ_Quill said:
    Modelling that is easy, 

Actually poopipe's got the point, tech artists do a status quo job, nobody cares about them really, only when they're lacking. They should be much more appreciated.
    I'm cracking a joke not creating a serious discussion, but I appreciate your message
  • ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    DJ_Quill said:

Well when I draw her, I am making something similar but not exactly because it's still her but there are several changes, headband, full tracksuit, etc (meaning she looks like a mega chav lmfao) I still come to think that falls under fair use but I'm not exactly sure.
    you dont get to color mickey mouse blue and call him yours. fair use applies to the context of the derivative work, such as educational purposes or parody, the latter of which peeps will still come after you for and its notoriously hard to fight.

people call fair use "the right to be sued by disney" for good reason. cause the onus will be on you to prove you used someone elses IP, without their permission and in a way they probably arent happy about, within the law.