Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate bust WIP

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
I'm doing a Pirate bust for modeling assignment. 

Reference

Low Poly with baked maps. Rendered in Substance Painter  with Iray. I plan to rig him and pose him so he is in the pose of the reference.

High poly

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Replies

• Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    It's not bad, but I think you lost the energy and expressiveness of the reference. While in the original bust it's clear that the expression is somewhat typical and natural to the character and somewhat buried in, it's still skin, fat and muscles being displaced into this expression. In your case it looks like a somewhat stiff and superficial equivalent of that grimace frozen into the physiognomy, especially on his left side. It looks like many of the forms like the brow are simply that way with the different tissues more or less draped over or hanging from it. Part of this might be due to a lack of depth and sharpness, but also the forms aren't quite right. Image for example how your character would look if he wasn't grinning at all.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Noren for the feedback. I had a lot of trouble sculpting the mouth area. I need to go back in there and fix it.

Here is the texture for the Pirate, inside Substance Painter rendered in Iray.

Here is the reference for the texture.