Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) UE4 Filipino Jungle Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rezinekk polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys,

I would like to share some WIP of my forest environment. It was inspired by a recent trip to the Philippines with my girlfriend.

My moodboard. 

Here is some screenshots of the current state of the piece.

I would be grateful of any feedback on what to do further and what I can improve. I am struggling mostly with the ground, not really sure how to ground and make it feel natural.

Many thanks!

Replies

• willj066
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willj066 polycounter lvl 2
    I assume you're doing a semi-blockout in those screenshots. I imagine that when things are fully textured, the environment will look a bit busier and more lively. Other than getting some nice materials going, the first suggestion that comes to mind would be to add some twigs, rocks, and leaves as scattered meshes. Build up the sides of the trail with more detail to ease the transition between the ground and the trees/rocks. Right now it's looking a little too stark with the rocks just intersecting the terrain like that. You've definitely got the right idea with the small foliage that you added around the base but you could do more to ease the transition. Think roots, pebbles, fallen branches, dead foliage, etc. Good job though otherwise!
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willj066 said:
    I assume you're doing a semi-blockout in those screenshots. I imagine that when things are fully textured, the environment will look a bit busier and more lively. Other than getting some nice materials going, the first suggestion that comes to mind would be to add some twigs, rocks, and leaves as scattered meshes. Build up the sides of the trail with more detail to ease the transition between the ground and the trees/rocks. Right now it's looking a little too stark with the rocks just intersecting the terrain like that. You've definitely got the right idea with the small foliage that you added around the base but you could do more to ease the transition. Think roots, pebbles, fallen branches, dead foliage, etc. Good job though otherwise!
    Thanks for the advice! Will focus on the smaller secondary and tertiary shapes now. 
  • Gonzotron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonzotron polycounter lvl 8
    Your scene could have some more banana trees, they're everywhere in my country! :)
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some progress on the scene. I started adding some small detail such as pebbles and dead tree logs and I think its starting to come along. I am now working on some additional vines and ivy to make the trees and rocks a little more distinguishes and detailed. Thank you for your previous feedback!

• rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Just an update on the scene. I've brightened it up a little bit but I dont really like it as much now haha. I felt it was a lot more atmospheric with darker lights but I will see how I like it darker. i've created a stone totem pole but I am not sure if I don't prefer it without it as just a peaceful forest. Let me know your thoughts. ate 
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Light improvements, changed the intensity of the moss as it looked like toxic puke :P !

I have added some trees to the background and I am starting to make final light builds to get get some nice renders. If you have any feedback let me know :)! Thank you
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, cool work! I feel if you do some post processing and adjust so it looks more blue, that would be really cool. I'd also adjust the lighting to get rid of the bright areas on the side of the image, because those are leading my eyes away from the center/focal point.
  • rezinekk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final screenshots for this project. Thank you all for your help and ideas as it has really helped me with this first organic environment I have created. I might come back to it just to fix up some bits however I am happy with how it came out now and I want to get onto doing something else now :)