Home Technical Talk

Zbrush scale issue - 'Move brush doesn't seem to respond properly

obloquy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
obloquy polycounter lvl 5
Hey, just encountered a weird problem I've never had before.  I can't seem to use the Move brush properly without it only moving a fraction before stopping itself (pic 1).  I'm assuming it has something to do with my scale of my model which is scaled to be roughly human size in cm (pic 2).  

If I hit Deformation>Unify the whole model shrinks to zbrush default scale (which is tiny in mm) BUT the move tool works fine and I can pull something out as far as I can be bothered etc (pic3).  In its currently large scale the move brush just doesnt seem to perform like it should in pic 3, and turning on/off the dynamic brush doesnt make a difference.  Weird as I've not encountered this problem before.   

I imported my character and a flippednormals character into maya to see their scale relative to mine and it was fine, both are roughly the same height.  If I try and work the Move brush on the flippednormals character I get the same little/miniscual movement 

Just wondering if this is something anyone knows a way around of?  I've already textured a fair bit of clothing and not sure if I change the scale now how that impacts the textures 

Any help?

Replies

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    Zbrush probably automatically set a crazy value in the export tab to compensate for the scale difference. Sizing in zbrush is very interesting... When I have that issue I usually scale my model down many times and set the export size to be something I can make sense of like 100, 25, 32 etc... You will see what I mean when you look at the export scale. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This is a Zbrush problem as old as the hills. Zbrush isn't a true 3D environment and uses its own native scale that has no real relation to real-world scale. The Unify 'bounding box' is 2 ZB units - which is the equivalent to 1cm in Maya. If you create any ZB primitive and go to Geometry>Size you can see that. This is the optimal scale to work at in ZB and it isn't recommended to work outside of that up to real-world human scale, for instance. As you've experienced with the brush behaviour(it fucks up other tools as well and can often crash if you attempt operations not in ZB scale)

The problem is that there is an export scale setting, but no import scale setting. If you intend to jump back and forth between ZB>Maya then it's necessary to set up your scale in advance to avoid the coming nightmare. It's pretty much a one-way interop from ZB>Maya

In Max this is no problem as you can set your .obj import/export to a 100X factor and maintain scaling perfectly from real-world to ZB units. I just started a project this week in Maya(haven't used it in 4  years) and was shocked to realise that the .obj import/export has no scale options like Max.

Check out this thread of mine from a few days ago on this very subject:

• obloquy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obloquy polycounter lvl 5
    Ahhh thanks  for the info, I thought it was a problem with what I was doing... weird zbrush.  Its no big deal as my character is pretty much done on the zbrush side of things and and I only scaled it up to real world scale once I was done with the modelling etc.  But its something to be aware of in the future! Will have a read of your thread musashidan and thanks for the info
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    You're welcome and this is definitely something to bear in mind every time you start a project outside of Zbrush that you intend to bring in, of utmost importance if the project has many different parts.