Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) - Central Perk from Friends - Blockout Phase

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JKNori polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone!

I wanted to start work with a environment which I have always wanted to recreate for a while. Even though I rarely watch TV, I thought this was a great environment to try and hopefully recreate from Friends, so this thread will be detailing my recreation of Central Perk! The iconic hangout spot for Rachel and the gang!

To begin, I wanted to try and recreate the environment not as a TV set, but more or so a full environment that is living, breathing and can be explored within a game. In this case, I went ahead and started to search for a layout of the cafe itself, this was the layout I had eventually found:

The parts in red I will not be recreating, otherwise everything presented will be done within my environment. I also want to create the outside as well so it doesn't look barren when you look outside the windows. After I found the layout, I then create dedicated moodboards for the environments so that I know what the environment should really look like, mainly a key references moodboard to help me understand the main elements of the cafe that I need to make (the iconic sofa, the bar etc.) I also have a lighting moodboard of which I can use to help me create the lighting of the cafe and take reference from when I need to do lighting tweaks within the engine.

Once I am ready, It's time to make the blockout, using the PBR geometry within UE4. This process doesn't take too long, ensuring I have the main elements of the cafe there rather than focusing on little details as I know I will make them later. As soon as I am done with the blockout, I make the procedural textures within Substance Designer, mainly brick, wood and tiled flooring. Using references in my moodboards, I create the textures for use.

Here's a graph of my wood texture in SD. I referenced the wood planks within the cafe. I have mainly guessed that the wood is oak.

After this, I test out the textures within the engine. Rather than relying on the PBR geometry, I grabbed a floor plane and a wall from a previous project to test the textures and ensure they will be scaled correctly using the TexCoord node, an extremely useful node for tiling textures, especially for more accurate scaling.

(don't worry about the weird colours on the window, they're there to test separate materials)

After this, the blockout is pretty much there. There are a few more things that I need to do before I really start making the modular set for the interior (walls, windows, door frames etc.) and start work on making the furniture.

I'm welcome to any feedback so far. Hopefully what I'm doing so far is a pretty good start.

Kind regards,
Jack