Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Distant terrain materials with zbrush/mixer/world creator.

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pixelpatron polycounter
Hello fellow 3D junkies. 

I've been experimenting with mixer and world creator the last couple of days. I really was wanting to develop a workflow to generate and create distant environment geometry/textures. I wanted to see if I could utilize Zbrush sculpts as well as terrain height data used from world creator thrown into mixer in order to create tile-able distant terrain PBR materials. Any questions, critiques or feedback is welcomed. 

Let's jump in, first one was this icy boy. I pulled up the details in Zbrush on a plane using a tileable (wrap) workflow. I then grabbed the heightmap out and brought it over to mixer.

Icy Tundra VIDEO <-CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO!

Next one was a desert themed tile, I like the colors of this one, but the cliffs were coming out a little blobby, and I wasn't able to get great texturing details out of zbrush using masks or cavity masks. It kinda worked but I figured I was gonna have to bite the bullet and mess around with world machine or world creator.

Sandy Desert  VIDEO <-CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO!

So I ended up purchasing world creator and I was able to get a decent map out of it that more resembled the plateau'd cliffs I was shooting for.

This one I continued to work on in order to be able to better achieve a mask that allowed me to put the rock materials on the cliff surfaces using "heatmap" exports from world creator. 

Canyon desert remix VIDEO <-CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO!

Till next time. Back to XWing land.

Replies