Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red 5...Standing by. (Project X-Wing)

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pixelpatron polycounter
As part of the unfortunate layoffs at Activision/Blizzard (Closure of the Z2 studio in Seattle), I'm now in the process of updating my portfolio and getting a new job hopefully. In the meantime I thought I'd start on some new projects. First up. I wanted to create a really highpoly vehicle/prop that would demonstrate my knowledge of hard surface modeling as well as something more complex to throw at substance painter. 

Basic block-out was the first part of the day, I really should start tracking my time. I'll have to be better about that. All told I guess I've spent about 3 days on this guy so far to get to this point. (keep getting distracted with other things, resume, networking, and portfolio redesign). Well anyway, you didn't come here to hear me blab. Let's dive in.

Got the main body modeled in pretty quickly, nothing to crazy. Found some great ref that made life easy. Google you're my only hope.

The main thrust-engine looked like fun so I dove into that first. The pipes wrapping around the back end were a little tricky, but in the end I went with laying them out flat and using a bend deformer to wrap them around the cylinder of the engine. 

Next up, the outer wing stabilizers and laser cannons. pew pew.

Should be able to get to the rest of the wings by Sunday (got to help someone move tomorrow...maybe if I'm not completely wiped I'll work on it...but moving in the rain....ya, we'll see if there is any gas in the tank afterwards). 

Feeling like the main engine assembly is pretty close to done (minus a zbrush pass to ding and dent) I wanted to get a quick render.

Test render in Maya

Until next time....

May the force be with you......

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Moving day wasn't too bad. Got semi-cancelled. Turns out my friend had more than enough guys show up. So that meant, it was time for some wings. Mmm, teriyaki wings sound good. Damn, now I'm hungry. 

Anyway....wings. Mostly done...

Not totally in love with this area as I strayed from the blueprint a bit since I couldn't find ref. Kinda works, but I might revisit. 

Get to move onto the main fuselage and cockpit area tomorrow.....(still undecided if I should do the interior). Would be kinda sweet to have a few shots of this guy with the ladder and the cockpit open...maybe make a mini hoth hanger....whoa...slow down there tiger.

Any crits or concerns?

The back frame of the wings look like they are gonna need another pass, and I didn't carry around the separation divide I had on the front part so I'll probably revisit. Spending too much time looking at this guy from the front...skipping leg day so to speak, gonna have to try and work on dat ass.

Do or do not....there is no try

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    In full blown panel hell. How many damn panels this thing have!!!! Damn. Thought I could finish tonight but only got about half way. Damn this thing. It looked so simple. Lol, ah well I'm having fun at least. Given today's efforts I reckon the back and back-end are at least a few more days out....

He's no good to me dead.......
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Been fortunate to have interviews, and lost some days due to personal issues and helping a friend move.  I just need to finish  fixing up this little R2 unit...then it's onto retop. Again, any crits more than welcome. Feel like I'm talking to myself in here.

I’m one with the Force. The Force is with me.

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator