Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Shot Feedback

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone finding the time in between contracts has been a challenge however I need to be disciplined and get on with it so decided to start a new piece with a new rig. The rig came with the book "Game Anim: Video game animation explained"- Jonathan Cooper

Having a lot of fun with this piece however thought I would look for feedback before I "Dive" in anymore and make a mess of keys before the fundamentals are working. My biggest concern is the timing/spacing on the exit of the dive. Is it too fast? The rest I am actually pretty happy with timing or "Beat" wise but if it can be pushed more let me know!

All feedback is appreciated as always. Thanks. 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/5cdfee634bd7/#721266/647824

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    I would push the posing further on the takeoff by going for even more of a C shape. I think that having her legs trail behind will help act almost as a smear, which will have the action read better since she's moving quite fast. In your shot f72 is beautiful and reads really well, then 73 is kind of a jumble of limbs without a clean line of action. I think that clarifying the arc of the spine as well will help inform the rest of the body. On f90 you could have her spine curving forward with her legs in more of a tuck position. it would give some variation to her pose, and let her go from open at the height of the jump which is super cool, tuck as she gets her feet under her f85-f90, and then extend the feet down as she starts to drop out of frame. These are all subjective, just my idea of what is an interesting way to flip.

One last thing I see people mess up with flipping all the time (I did diving for 8 years so it's the one random thing I'm familiar with), is that people will have the arms follow the body. If you want power while flipping, you lead with the arms because it's the best way to get height during a jump, and you can also start rotating them while on the ground and take that momentum into the flip. In the link below you can see on every jump he launches his arms up above his head. It also make for nice big open posing in animation.

This guy shows a bit of the takeoff I'm talking about, and also you can easily see where his spine is bending backwards then forwards.
    https://youtu.be/O8kLUbFSr4A?t=56

Hope this helps! Also, I really want to animate some flips now!
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
    @tholmes3d Thank you very much for the detailed feedback, I find myself agreeing with it all! The arms do come forward before the body but I have a feeling because it is over 1 frame it just doesn't read well. I will look at offsetting the body some to make that action more clear!