Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mermaid Character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
braintrain polycounter lvl 7
Finished project xD

I am working on a submarine themed game with some friends and thought a mermaid would make a great side project. Since I cant draw I started with the concept/ base model straight in 3D. My goal is a slightly stylized look but with correct anatomy, so I am always happy about critiques. I have no particular design in mind, just want to see where this is going.

Replies

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    I already started refining the head

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Work on the torso. Currently aiming for a slim and athletic body type.

• Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    quite beautiful so far. I like the color scheme. And the overall shape/sillhouette. Very elegant.

Those scapula sticking out seem a bit sharp. The part where the rib cage ends and the skin dips down into the soft part of the belly seems a tad sharp as well. I don't think we should see a line like that unless she was inhaling deeply like one of those yoga poses.

• bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Hi @braintrain nice progress so far. Your anatomy does need some tweaking. Right now your character seems very elongated and skinny. Check into proportions of the entire body using the head size as a measurement. Below I've provided a quick paint over illustrating some anatomy issues and a proportion measurement guide

Use reference below to nail down proportions. Cheers

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    wow!  thank you for your feedback guys! I will certainly use those reference points when working on the torso and the back

Special thx to you! @bkost Those overpaints help me a lot! Oh man yeah... the ribcage shape. Sometimes I get so blind when working on a project haha.
    One thing though, since you mentioned the eight head model. Just want to say again that I try for slightly stylized proportions for the character :)
  • braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Started work on the fishtail. Due to the elongated torso and the low entry at the transition I decided to raise the crotch area a bit

Also experimented with darker color and contrast compared to the concept

In addition I made small revisions to the the head due to some lines I disliked in front view. Mainly worked on the cheeks to change the volume

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the torso. Tried to improve on the things advised to me. Thank you guys for the input!

For clothing I decided to change the concept somewhat.The golden accessoirs were quite cool so I put more focus on that now. The belt thingy now sits around the fishtail rather than the belly and is quite thick

Overview with new color scheme

• Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    lovin this. the turning of the ribs into gills is slightly disturbing, but kind of cool at the same time. i tihnik for a swimmer she might look nicer with a little more meat on the shoulders. Feels a little in-congruent with such wiry forearms but very thin shoulders.
  • braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor yeah you´re right. Thank u! When I rotated her arms I just smoothed out her shoulders without thinking if that even makes sense
  • braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time finding a good pose and lighting for the character and decided to go with this one. Is she a warrior or priestess? I don´t know haha
    Unfortunately I have to remodel the hair. Usually I like to sculpt the hair but for the underwater wavy look I tried using stripes instead. However, I started out far too small, which could work from far away but is way too time consuming and polygon heavy. So I´ll try to improve this and hopefully get to the final cleanup round afterwards

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished this project. It didn´t turn out as I expected but I really liked how it transformed from the first concept^^

In addition I think the metallic channel looks kinda neat. Like some sort of logo haha

• braintrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like the sketchfab viewer is broken so I just drop a link to the model: https://skfb.ly/6LqJO