Home Technical Talk

Image to texture tool- Multiple color masking?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
So, I am trying this awesome software:
http://www.boundingboxsoftware.com/materialize/
It has a masking per color feature, where u can mask color and assign a vaule based on the type of map but it is only limited to two. Any idea of any app like this that allows a lot more number of color masking. This would make converting photos to textures way easier. This is possible with photoshop but it will be a very clunky workflow.

Replies

• Mink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mink polycounter lvl 6
    B2M and substance desjgner are your best bet
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This vid showing the software in use;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuuaHxLldgo

U can select two colors and set how much height this color represent from a mask. U can also set vaules per color for smoothness, metallic et.c
    I have viewed b2M tutorials on youtube, I am not sure I have found such masking features (might be wrong?). The cool thing here is u can pick color and set height, smoothness setting on the fly.
    It's kinda like Photoshop where u select the color using the color range feature and then create a mask, With this software, it's way easier and fast. I am not sure if I am explaining what I am trying to say.
    There should be a software like this where u pick say Height category, use the color picker select white parts of an image, make it the lowest point a the height map, pick the green parts, make it the highest, the gold part, make it the mid point, the rusted parts , set it at vaule slightly higher than the midpoint. 
    Because, often times, a texture might have the white parts be the lowest on a height map, and the brown parts at mid point and the purple parts are the heighest.
    This could be done in photoshop though and then imported as the height map instead so maybe no need.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Even with that ability it's not very accurate unless the input image is polarised. I think there's a tool in Unity called enlighten that's meant to be very good at polarising scanned data like photogrammetry that hasn't been shot in diffused conditions.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't need to be accurate. if its close, it's good enough I think. This software has a remove lighting feature as well. If the developer can add more color samplers maybe ten. It would be dope. What he has now is really great and makes texture generation very simple and easy imho.
    Other texturing software apps should note this. Simplicity is the key, not everything has to be complicated, convoluted, manipulated, assimilated and bloated to the max.