Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Game Animation Feedback. Help me pls! :)

lucasmz
null
Offline / Send Message
lucasmz null
Hi guys! It's my first time animating for a game and I would be really happy if you guys give me some feedback.

PS: The "play instrument" animation activate a radar around the player and it's pretty normal. If you have some idea to improve this, I'd be very grateful :) 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/2d61179f2732/

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Dash: Quick motions are hard because you have to use every single frame in a very smart way. Right now you have quite a few frames that are almost the same as the last, and then the next frame will be a huge change. Use every frame 100%. To me this mean choosing what you want the player to focus on/see. You may want to stick a limb out and hold it in place while the rest of the body flips very quickly so that the player has a visual anchor to keep track of. I would look up reference from games with really quick movement like DMC or something. Actually most any video game will have a pretty quick dodge/dash. I best most of the will have in common that they strike a pose and hold is to make sure it's very clear. if they do a flip, I bet they do the action quickly and then strike a settling pose so that you can regain focus on the character.
    https://youtu.be/Mc_DLBI7oL4?t=51
    Here you can see that there are extremely clear poses. Also, if this is for gameplay, show us the animation from the players perspective. 

For the Play instrument, try to avoid having the character enter the action and leave the action in the same way. It's clear in this case that you only have keys on the idle, and the pose where it's touching it's chest. Find a visually interesting way to get into that action, which is different that the way it goes back to idle. What's the frame limit on this animation? Maybe take a few more frames and do a small action on the chest? I'd need to know more about what the goal is for this animation to give helpful ideas. 

Hope this helps. Game animation has a lot of constraints but it's awesome when you find something that works and feels good! Best of luck!
  • lucasmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasmz null
    Thank you very much!