Home Career & Education

Why I decided to give 3D modeling another chance.

This is my first post so yay me. I graduated from college at age 22 and got my degree on game arts. I thought that's all i needed to get into the industry but I was so wrong. I started to realize that my art work was not so great and was not going to make it. I got a job testing games for a few gaming companies but somehow I felt that, this was the closest I would get to working for a video game company. Deep down I wanted to create 3D environments but i feel I don't have the skills and i have wasted four years of college. I am now 26 years old and what I did to find out if creating 3D models was my path to continue, I joined the global game jam last month. Let me tell you, my passion for creating 3D models came back. 48 hours just a group a people creating a game. No one in the group told me my models were bad, they just accepted and helped me learn new things and gave me feedback on them for our game. I didn't think of anything but the project and little to no sleep. This is what brought me back to create and relearn how to model and not give up on my dream. If any of you out there feel the same way please. Join groups, forums and even the Global Game Jam if you have one near you next year. This helped me a lot to find myself again. It hurts sometimes study but a little studying comes a long way and I will be creating amazing art work one day. Here is my link to my game that I help create for the global game jam. thanks for reading and don't give up on your dream.

Global game jam: https://globalgamejam.org/2019/games/elfescape

Replies

• Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Glad to hear that you have rediscovered your passion! Only a small amount of people that finish game education get an job instantly after school. For most people it takes an year of portfolio building before they get their first job. If you want to become a successful env artist you should look at artstation to see how high the bar is and work to reach that level of quality.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I did a whole 4 years at uni and change, and still took me 2.5 years to get a full time job.

It's hard.  Welcome back to the war!