Home Career & Education

From architecture degree to an environment artist career

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hi,

I want few informations and advises about my background:

I have just finished my Architecture degree (in france) and I have developed skills and softwares by my self as a self educated people (Photogrammetry / unity / twinmotion / unreal ).
Become an environment artist is a dream for me, but I know I have probably a lack of knowledges (because I haven't followed a traditional degree in game design school). I would like to found a intership to improve my skills but I'm a little afraid to appear ''stupid''. I would like to know if a sensibility in architecture could be a good point on a portofolio? And if you think this project could be possible?

Thanks in advance
Bye

Camille

Replies

• JEmerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JEmerson polycounter lvl 7
    The degree itself will not be a detriment, particularly to your ability as an environment artist due to your background in architecture. The key will be demonstrating what you know via a portfolio. For that, reference Artstation. A case in point on how a background in architecture is useful to environment artists is the book An Architectural Approach to Level Design. Although that is centered around level design, it should help you key into those aspects that help an environment tell its story. There is a lot to learn with being an environment artist and much of it is design sensibility in addition to the technical prowess. Finding an internship would be a good option - but where you may struggle is the movement from architecture approaches (e.g., photogrammetry and twinmotion) vs. that of more standard art pipelines that do not include photogrammetry or architectural tools like twinmotion. You will need to develop your skills in a 3D package (e.g., Maya/Max/Blender/etc) and texturing abilities. If you're able to demonstrate those abilities to an acceptable level, then an internship may be within your reach. Don't be afraid to post work, ask questions and get feedback. We all learn from each other (even while competing with each other for jobs).

For a good reference on what it takes to be an environment artist, look at the Polycount wiki.